mit

What's The Fastest You've Ever Driven?

Heh, compared to all the "Germany" stories, mine was actually in Germany when I was posted over there. I had 160 on the clock of my CL9 Euro-R which was generally pretty accurate. Not a nice experience at that speed though. You could feel the tyres going mushy and the car actually felt like it was lifting off the ground a bit. I guess at that sort of speed, a decent wing spoiler front and back might have helped. It's actually really difficult to get up to those sort of speeds, even on the autobahn as, well, at least where I was based, most of the autobahns were 2 lane and so you had to firstly look ahead about 3 miles or more, any bends would make it well dodgy (see below story!) and b, there was always some f*cker pulling out in front of you. Anyone see that top gear where they had the E36 M3, the cossie and the merc? It's like that all the time.

As for the second story, I was giving it the beans in my left hooker Audi Quattro that I had and someone pulled out in front of me at prob a good 90mph less than I was doing.. Had to undertake them on the hard shoulder still doing over a ton! Sh*t. Meet pants.

Edited by Frobius

I stand by my point re Moto GP bike v f1 car. A Moto GP bike has a higher power to weight ratio and a far smaller frontal area - it's simple science.

At catalunya a GP bike has a higher top speed than a f1 car down the main straight. Yes the f1 car has downforce to contend with but this also means it gets onto the straight faster than the bike. Anyway I digress....

F1 car will also be able to brake much later, I'd expect the F1 car to get off the line faster but once rolling I'd not be surprised if the bike was faster.

I stand by my point re Moto GP bike v f1 car. A Moto GP bike has a higher power to weight ratio and a far smaller frontal area - it's simple science.

At catalunya a GP bike has a higher top speed than a f1 car down the main straight. Yes the f1 car has downforce to contend with but this also means it gets onto the straight faster than the bike. Anyway I digress....

Oh simple science you say ? I agree, a bike with a few cm of rubber cannot possibly accelerate as quickly as a machine with several feet of rubber in contact with the floor, simple science :D

Ok, enough "speculation", here's the "facts" ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/17486184

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

Repsol Honda RC213V

Wheelbase: 1.435m

Weight: 157 kg

Power: 240 bhp

Capacity: 1,000cc

Fuel capacity: 21 litres

MPG: 13.5

Cost: £1m

Top speed: 220mph at Mugello (varies track to track)

0-100mph: 5 seconds

100-0mph: 4 seconds

Red Bull RB8 Renault RS27

Wheelbase: 3.220m

Weight: 640kg (including driver as in regulations) 570kg excluding driver.

Power: 790bhp plus 80bhp for 6.7 seconds per lap (KERS) total 870bhp

Capacity: 2,400cc

Fuel capacity: 220 litres

MPG: 4.5

Cost: £2m (this is the costs incurred to reproduce a car and does not include research or tooling)

Top speed: 220mph at Monza (depends on the track)

0-100mph: 3.5 seconds

100-0mph: 1.5 seconds

Quickest lap

Pole times from the two British Grands Prix last year:

MotoGP - two minutes 2.020 seconds (Casey Stoner, Honda)

F1 - one minute 30.399 seconds (Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault)

Just had a look at lap times for MotoGP around Silverstone and F1 around Silverstone. MotoGP laps are around 2 minutes. F1 cars normally do it in 1:35.

That's only one track, but that's a pretty considerable difference. My moneys on the F1 cars being quicker.

Fastest I've driven is an indicated 140mph on the speedo on my 525i Sport (debateable what the actual speed was though)

Closely followed by 135mph in my old 320cd on the way back from Jay's, I slackened off as I took "the fear" and then saw a Panda Car a mile or so later once I slowed down....

Passanger rides are different

170mph in an E60 M5

165mph in a Vauxhall Monaro

Approx 150/160 in a mates 550bhp ST205 GT4 Celica

Thats a superbike. IIRC they're usually around 170-200bhp and weigh a little less than stock. A PROPER MotoGP bike is around 250bhp and around 135Kg.

I think alongside a current V8 F1 car with supersofts, it'd be closer but the F1 car wins because it can put it's power down better.

Not a superbike according to the description (I realise this isn't gospel) and that sure looked like a MotoGP bike to me

Yes but the question was which was faster, the lap times are obviously faster and if you told an F1 team they had a basically unlimited runway and to see how fast they could go I'm very confident the bike wouldn't be in sight

Fastest ive driven was GPS 150 in my Corrado VR6 and GPS 160 in my CLK 430.

As a passenger GPS 191 in an R8 V10. An SLR walked past us at that speed. Driver says he was over 200 and ive no reason not to believe him to be honest.

Edited by Abdul

Mate reakons he's seen 200+ and still pulling in a 800+ bhp gtr while live mapping. This was on satnav/data logging.

Was a 10sec car at pod so no reason to doubt him. And the guy mapping is quite well known and backed up the story

Fastest in a straight line - not round a track. Course f1 cars will be faster round a track with downforce, 2 extra tyres and probably 20 times more rubber on the tarmac etc.

My point is this - the f1 car goes onto the straight at a higher speed and brakes probably 50-60 metres later than the bike. The bike enters the straight at a lower speed has to brake 50-60 metres earlier than the f1 car yet STILL reaches a higher top speed on the straight. Therefore the bike surely accelerates quicker than the f1 car as it reaches a higher top speed in a shorter distance and from a slower speed...

Ps. It's a HM Plant BSB Honda CBR1000 in the drag race with the f1 car and powerboat - def not a Moto GP bike. No traction control, no anti-wheelie control, 25% less power and 20kg heavier than a Moto GP bike.

Sorry to take this off topic

Therefore the bike surely accelerates quicker than the f1 car as it reaches a higher top speed in a shorter distance and from a slower speed...

Sorry, but...

cvhRY8i.jpg

kWzZGMu.jpg

Aerodynamics don't come into effect until about 80mph. F1 cars might accelerate faster from 0-100 according to the figures (all approximate I might add) but I'd be very interested to see the 100mph+ figures... GP bikes are faster on the Catalunya straight - (this is a fact) yet they brake 50 or maybe even more metres earlier and start it maybe 20-30 mph slower due to now downforce. Please explain how this can possibly be if the f1 car accelerates faster and starts the straight faster.....?

That was the point I was gonna make, those figures don't show 100+ acceleration.

A lot of hot hatches will beat bigger cars off the line up to a certain speed, but If both gunned it from a ton on the motorway they'd get left behind

More drag due to the downforce the dial in to get it around the rest of the track.

You can't compare 0-220mph acceleration times because the only place either of them could easily get to that speed is Monza which only WSBK goes to. F1 cars get to 220mph down the main straight there.

For 0-100mph the F1 car wins hands down. Anything over that is speculation because we've never seen a direct comparison.

Personally I think 0-220mph with low downforce and correct gearing with super soft tyres the F1 car still wins because it's so far ahead after the 0-100mph drag. Also depending on bespoke gearing an F1 car can actually reach closer to 250mph so if it was an unlimited run F1 car still wins.

In reality I see it this way between the sports:

F1 = Fastest.

MotoGP = BIGGEST BALLS!!

Going back to Catalunya and the MotoGP-vs-F1. If we ignore outright lap times, the MotoGP bike enters the start finish straight approximately 40-50 mph slower than the F1 car. However, peak speed on the straight is higher on the MotoGP bike. It accelerates more quickly above 130mph than the F1 car. However, it's only when downforce comes into play that the bike is quicker. Either is a pretty phenominal piece of kit! :punk: