TriggerFish

Joe's E30 325i Sport - new engine started!

Yeah, I didn't manage to catch all of the voice when cropping/muting it (I hate my voice so try to avoid listening to it/forcing it on others!)

I daren't run it for long without coolant, but didn't want to go to the effort of filling it only to find that it needing removing/draining to fix the clutch or something.

RTA bushes fitted. They took 30-45 minutes to remove, per bush. I didn't want to spend the same time replacing them with rubber ones (although the ones that came out looked so healthy I'm not sure they needed replacing). The polybushes, which I was hoping would be easier to fit, took about 30-45 minutes to fit all four, and the only tool I needed was a hammer for the metal insert. I like poly bushes!

The subframe is now back on the diff - I can't imagine how hard mounting the diff to the subframe must with when the subframe is hanging off the car - it took me ~90 minutes to do the four bolts with the whole lot lying on the floor! I've borrowed a third jack off a friend, so hopefully this weekend I can get that mounted along with the prop if I can rope someone into helping me, then do the brakes after work one day, leaving just the exhaust (another two person job ideally), front ARB and refitting the bonnet to go before it's road worthy again. (Although the MOT has lapsed and the insurance is up on the 26th.)

So close now!

Edited by TriggerFish

Second half of the prop shaft fitted. Rear subframe and trailing arms fitted. Rarb linked up. Springs and shocks fitted (refitting old ones of those was depressing, I wanted to replace them, but £££...). All that's left at the rear end is to replace the diff bolt with one that's a bit shorter, fit the rear brakes, and then fit the wheels!

Annoyingly, one of the "trusted" e30 breakers sent me the wrong brackets for the rear subframe, so I need new ones. It's not halted work as I can fit them retrospectively, but why is it so hard to find competent people?! 

20160625_171414.jpg

20160625_171350.jpg

Confirmed that one is for a convertible. *sigh*

The to do list is now: brakes, exhaust, heat shields, coolant, farb, wheels, bonnet, insurance (£185 before I declare the 2.8. The 2.8 adds a fair chunk :( ), mot, hoon. 

Edited by TriggerFish

Full exhusat system (minus manifold) fitted as one piece with new hangers, new rubber hanger and new gearbox support bracket. On my own. I do not recommend this. A very labourius job with lots of adjusting, jacking, lowering, adjusting, repeat etc. (about 90 minutes start to finish, without doing up the manifold bolts, which is a nightmare on its own).

Get a hand when doing this job! 

I had a half day today to take my parents to the airport (£2.50 for a dropoff at Luton!) for their 30th wedding anniversary. Anyway, I used the time before taking them to work on the car, and filled it up with coolant. Pumped the pipes by hand to circulate it a bit, and lo! what's that noise? Oh, right. It's dripping. I managed to trace it back to the pipe from the throttle body to the block, near the blockhead. Typically the hardest one to access! After stripping some of the intake stuff out I managed to get my hands on it - luckily it was just a broken/jamming jubilee clip, and a new one fixed the leak. Phew!

I then tried to start it up, only for the jump starter to go flat. Before that happened though I worked out why it won't run quite right - the ICV is seemingly dead. It doesn't buzz with the ignition. Tomorrow, I'll check that the TPS is reporting 'shut' properly, and then check it over with a mulitmeter and see what's what. That would, at least, explain the lopey idle it had. It runs nicely with the throttle open though. 

And it runs properly now! It sounds nice and healthy, no tapping noises from the head (which drove me mad before) and I'm impressed with how quickly it revs up compared to before. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, but it seems a lot more lively than I recall. Either that or the slow revving 330d engine has me impressed by anything capable of more than 3k rpm!

The cause of the ICV not starting/the previous poor running? Well... I noticed the ICV wasn't working, so removed it took it home to test. It gave good resistance readings. It worked well directly connected to a power source. There was good power to the plug in the loom. I figured the ICV/wiring was OK - it must be getting a bad signal from the ECU/TPS. So having worked out how to test the TPS, I set about doing so. When the throttle position sensor reports that the throttle is closed (idle), then the ECU tells the ICV to kick in. Likewise, the TPS has a WOT mode, to tell the ECU to go to max. power mode.

Anyway, I unplugged the TPS ready to poke with a mutlimeter and what's that? It's also a three pin socket too! Could it be the same as the ICV one? Why, yes. Yes it is! I can't have been that stoopid surely? But yes, it turns out I'd just plugged the ICV and the TPS into the wrong plugs. Once that was fixed, it fired up and idled near instantly and near perfectly, as shown in a (rubbish phone camera) video...

3 hours ago, Ashley1995 said:

Nice work Joe, that sounds awesome without the exhaust attached!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's beastly! Shame the phone camera leveled the audio down :(

The exhaust is bolted up now, and it sounds boring again, and, weirdly, doesn't idle quite as happily. 

I went to put the rear brakes together today, but had my mind blown by drums. I need my dad's help with this old school technology!

3 hours ago, Ashley1995 said: Nice work Joe, that sounds awesome without the exhaust attached!

Yeah, it's beastly! Shame the phone camera leveled the audio down [emoji20]

The exhaust is bolted up now, and it sounds boring again, and, weirdly, doesn't idle quite as happily. 

I went to put the rear brakes together today, but had my mind blown by drums. I need my dad's help with this old school technology!

I thought all M20s came with rear discs? Or do you mean the handbrake parts?

It's fiddly, this helped me out when I swapped mine

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Handbrake

Yeah, just the handbrake. Main brakes are discs all round. 

Ive read that, but I can't figure out how the lever thing that attaches to the cable is supposed to go

I need to SORN the car, so I was trying to find the logbook (I failed), but it also seemed like a good time to tidy up the invoices I had lying around.

I also totalled them up. This doesn't include stuff like the £80 for brake hoses, £250 for the engine, ~£275 for the camshaft, the £*00 for the engine work, the £120 for rocker arms, the £80 for a new carpet, the ~£300-400 for the audio system etc. Anyway, it's £1,440.62! :o

What's that look like in invoices?

_DSC5504.jpg

_DSC5503.jpg

In less depressing news, I found, in the original BMW booklets something I'd overlooked before - a map of Europe circa 89/90, when the car was new.

_DSC5511.jpg

I never new a separated Germany (the Wall fell before I was born), but this map includes the German Democratic Republic! And Yugoslavia! History is alive!

_DSC5509.jpg

The map of Berlin even has a split down the middle.

_DSC5508.jpg

Edited by TriggerFish

Nice work Joe, how long you thinking before it's MOT'd and on the road now?  

Also which underseal did you use...?  need to buy some for my front arches

Just needs brakes at the rear fitting and bleeding all round. And the front arb fitting once I've trimmed the bushes a little. So not long. Could be done by the end of the weekend if I had the time to put in _which I don't).

Unless I can find my log book, I've got a long wait before I can tax it, sadly. :( unless they'll accept the previous new keeper supplment at the post office. 

I got this stuff, but there's cheaper bulk purchase options and I got mine with an application gun included too. 3 cans gave the while car a light cost. 5 cans was satisfactory. 1 Will be fine for just the front arches. 

Rear brakes have been defeated. The hand brake seems to work too, which is more than the e46 does!

I can now get the front arb to fit, but need another person so both sides can be done at once. Doing the passenger side makes the driver's side unfittable and vice versa. 

Only hitch: it's no longer starting. The starter has packed up. My plan is to drop it onto the wheels and try and bump start it and see if I can rock the starter free, as it sounds as though it's jammed against the flywheel  but isn't spinning. 

I wish it were two steps back!

Just confirmed that the starter motor is dead. The soleniod is ok, but the motor won't turn, even with 12v applied directly, so that's in need of replacement. Hopefully the spare that I've GoT is the same, and works. Of not, that's another 90£ gone. 

To make it worse, the e46 is now stranded with the e30 as all eletrical systems suddenly died, as if the battery were disconnected (no side lights, locking, nothing).

In good news, it's a nice evening so the walk back through the countryside was pleasant. 

I like the irony of calling the aa out to one car as I'm fixing the other.