Lex Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 2, 2015 Any plans for lowering? Done Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jay. Posted June 2, 2015 Report Share Posted June 2, 2015 Looks MUCH better without the stickers!! Any plans for lowering? I'm keeping it standard apart from some subtle mods, the ride it's perfect now, lowering will just make my daily drive around London a pain... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 2, 2015 Looks MUCH better without the stickers!! Any plans for lowering? I'm keeping it standard apart from some subtle mods, the ride it's perfect now, lowering will just make my daily drive around London a pain... Tesco fault, not mine... That's how a good shopping day looks when you have 255 and 15mm spacers on standard clubsport suspension, I don't want to think what would happen if it was lower. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 3, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 3, 2015 Test fit, not bad should look good once the other cf parts arrive. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 4, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 4, 2015 Fitted The_Judge_, The Laird and Megadodo 3 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DJ Syxx Posted June 4, 2015 Report Share Posted June 4, 2015 Any plans for lowering? Done Is that rust bubbles on your arches? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 5, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 5, 2015 (edited) Any plans for lowering? Done Is that rust bubbles on your arches? Dirt. I don't have any rust on it Edited June 7, 2015 by Lex DJ Syxx 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 (edited) Got the car lowered by 10mm... but also 10mm more of arch gap on front At least handles awesome now Edited June 7, 2015 by Lex Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jay. Posted June 7, 2015 Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 How have you lowered it just 10mm? Spring cups? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 (edited) How have you lowered it just 10mm? Spring cups? Using low profile tires The car feels much better with 225 instead of 255 imo, I know the 255 is the OEM size, but sticks to roads like it's glued... to much grip isn't good sometimes. Edited June 7, 2015 by Lex Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DJ Syxx Posted June 7, 2015 Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 What exact profiles are you running to lose 10mm in height? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 What exact profiles are you running to lose 10mm in height? Basically if we're looking at the photo, it's 20mm in total, but that splits in 2, 10mm of arch gap and 10mm lowering the car, I wasn't planning to do this, I just seen after checking the sizes. From 225/40 to 215/35, that's dropping from 637mm to 607mm. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jay. Posted June 7, 2015 Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 Dear lord.... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 Dear lord.... What? The wheels look already small by their design, using big tires on them looks even worse, now looks just perfect imo, also I have more space now for lowering in future if I want to. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jay. Posted June 7, 2015 Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 yeah bmw messed up didn't they, they obviously should have fitted those size tyres from factory . I know when I fitted 215/35 tyres on 18" rims it drove horrible as theres hardly any 'give' in the sidewall. You've said your self you ain't lowering the car due to the fact it suits your needs being at standard ride height, so you've basically just made it look a bit odd, as there's now a massive arch gap DJ Syxx 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 7, 2015 (edited) yeah bmw messed up didn't they, they obviously should have fitted those size tyres from factory . I know when I fitted 215/35 tyres on 18" rims it drove horrible as theres hardly any 'give' in the sidewall. You've said your self you ain't lowering the car due to the fact it suits your needs being at standard ride height, so you've basically just made it look a bit odd, as there's now a massive arch gap The rear sits much better now imo, the front needs a bit lower, will see what I can do about PS: I had arch gap before too, as it's standard I think is something normal. Edited June 7, 2015 by Lex Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DJ Syxx Posted June 8, 2015 Report Share Posted June 8, 2015 Dear lord.... What? The wheels look already small by their design, using big tires on them looks even worse, now looks just perfect imo, also I have more space now for lowering in future if I want to.If you lower it on the original tyres it would look fine. I agree with Jay that profile has not much give and you have more chance of buckling the wheel. The money you spent on buying new tyres could have gone to a set of either springs or coilovers. Jay. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 9, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 If you lower it on the original tyres it would look fine. I agree with Jay that profile has not much give and you have more chance of buckling the wheel. The money you spent on buying new tyres could have gone to a set of either springs or coilovers. I don't see what's wrong with 35 profile, there are thousands using the same on 18", they look clearly better as it's giving a bit of stretch. It's not looking bad now, but I will try some springs to see the difference, if you look at the last photo, lowered looks perfect imo for standard wheels. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bacon Posted June 9, 2015 Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 Not to sure about the roof spoiler Lex , but the rest of car is looking spot on Lex 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DEVIL 666 Posted June 9, 2015 Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 35 profile looks better on 19" wheel. Of course if you got air than the 35profile looks awesome on 18s but on the standard wheel I would use /40, especially if it's a daily in London as you said: "I'm keeping it standard apart from some subtle mods, the ride it's perfect now, lowering will just make my daily drive around London a pain..." Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jay. Posted June 9, 2015 Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 mate, people use lower profiles to get away with lowering problems, clearing a 40 front profile on a front tyre on lock is a challenge, fitting a 35 profile over comes this. the reasoning your using is absolute b0ll0x and it just looks at the moment like you couldn't afford the correct tyres & youv'e fitted any old rubbish they had down the part worn shop. You've got a gorgeous example of a clubsport there, keep it subtle - either fit some suspension that justifies your tyre choice or leave it as it come from the factory. All imho of course StuBeeDoo, Naj, DJ Syxx and 1 other 4 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gaz-777 Posted June 9, 2015 Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 I have to agree with Jay, a lower profile would help with lowering/steering problems, if you wanted a slight stretch then a narrower tyre would achieve this but keeping the 40 profile. Personally i think the 35 profile is too small for the size of the arch. Josh has just brought 40 profile for his new 18" alloys with some stretch, he was previously on a 35 profile and stated that it was a bit of a bumpy ride. It is a lovely example mate, don't get me wrong some eibach springs might help out though. Jay. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 9, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 9, 2015 (edited) Cheers guys for opinions, a bit of lowering would set it nice, think about that I've changed the 40 profile to 35 only on fronts, as the rear comes OEM with 35 profile, isn't a big deal tho', i bet none of you would see the difference without me mentioning the tire size. I have good roads around, never had problems with pot holes, just few speedbumps in car parks or some streets, but that has nothing to do with tire profile. Have a look at the photo bellow, 40 vs 35 profile, 99% of you wouldn't see the difference, so it can't look bad or worse just a little bit more arch gap which I can get rid by using some lowering springs. Edited June 9, 2015 by Lex Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennno2005 Posted June 10, 2015 Report Share Posted June 10, 2015 (edited) I agree with the others. I don't see why you didn't just keep the stock profiles and lower it slightly. That way you'd have the same height you have now without the massive arch gap. Its also worth mentioning that the rear comes with a 35 profile so that the overall diameter of the wheel / tyre is the same as the front. This is because the profile is proportional to the width of the tyre - rears being 255 and fronts being 225. Edited June 10, 2015 by ben.embrey Jay. 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lex Posted June 10, 2015 Author Report Share Posted June 10, 2015 I agree with the others. I don't see why you didn't just keep the stock profiles and lower it slightly. That way you'd have the same height you have now without the massive arch gap. Its also worth mentioning that the rear comes with a 35 profile so that the overall diameter of the wheel / tyre is the same as the front. This is because the profile is proportional to the width of the tyre - rears being 255 and fronts being 225. Some of you like to exaggerate the things over the limit lmao, "massive arch gap"... oh cool, tell me how I have now a "massive arch gap" and before I didn't. C'mon guys... get over it, i'm using 35 instead of 40, not killing anyone, also if it looks better imo, I don't see the problem, there are few other millions people running 35 on 18" on fronts, why don't you tell them the same thing? Before and now... yeah I can see how massive my arch gap is now compared to before. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...