Jay.

e46 m3 vert or e93 330i m sport?

Basically if you had 10k to spend where would you put your money & why?

335i isn't an option as the bills for the turbos scare me

Love the looks of the e93 but love the exclusivity of the e46 m3

hate the issues with sub frames & engines on the m3

Thanks for your thoughts

Two different cars. M3 is a performance car over the E93 330 and different power delivery. So depends on what your after ie comfy cruiser or a rawer car. But you realise you can't get JOM's for them though! lol.

Engine wise there is little that goes wrong with them but yes subframe is a pain but easily fixable.

Tricky. Depends what it's to be used for I guess.

I'd also not call an M3 exclusive either. (Lots of people around here with them. Not all of them people you'd want to associate with either.) A Z4M coupe on the other hand - that's an exclusive use of the same engine...

Thanks for all the opinions so far.

I must admit, I'm not one for the performance - the only reason I'd want an m3 is the exclusivity & the reason for the 330 is that the 4 cylinder engines are unreliable and I don't want a diesel as I do 7 miles each way to work.

Certainly got a lot of time to ponder, only looking circa Xmas time

If you're thinking M3 verts what colour you got in mind ? , personally not a fan of any 3 series after the e46 as I think they lack character but then they are getting old which will only bring more problems and costly ones fo an M

Yeah I have had 2 e92s & know what you mean, they are a bit uninspiring, but something niggles me about spending 10 grand on a 12 year old bmw when I can get a 6 year old one for the same money! Maybe I'm just a bit materialistic/snobby!

M3 all day

theres a reason theyre still 10k plus!

You will also take quite a hit in depreciation with the e93 plus you already had an e92.

Also as an owner of so many e46s you still havent owned the top of the range model!?!!

Personally Jay, i would go for the E46 M3 but i suppose it all boils down to what you want from a car? I do think the E93 M Sport looks lovely in the right colour and the 3.0 litre straight six won't disappoint at all, not as sweet as the S54 but still not a bad sounding car at all. If it was me i would go for the M3 and find a really well looked after example in whatever colour combo you are after mate. I reckon the E93 would depreciate quicker than a low mileage M3.

I'm currently debating whether to go for a 335i, but like you the wastegate worry me, or the e46 m3, which has its niggles as well. I am leaning towards the m3, just because I've always wanted one and I love the rasp. It is a difficult decision though and prices seem to massively fluctuate. My mrs can't comprehend why I would spend that much money on an 'old car' when the 'newer' cars are the same price...

I always loved the E46 M3, it'll always be a special car for me, but when I had the money, I ended up not buying one.

Turns out there are more things I didn't like about it, than things I did.

Basically I loved the way it looks & goes, but that's it.

Subframe, Vanos Gears, smg, tinny/raspy exhaust sound, the fact the carbon black is not BLACK, expensive Brakes, etc, so I settled for a mint 2005 remapped 330d Vert with 50k

......which is pissing me off now !

Go buy a sorted, strengthened, enthusiast owned M3 & be happy !

Edited by Aamir

I can see your point Jamie about not wanting to spend 10k on a car that is basically over 10 years old. One thing I would say though is prices have held out very well and I can't see them dropping much more in the future. There at that age already when most of the depreciation has already gone. I would be confident if you bought one you would not have much trouble selling it on and you won't lose much when it comes to selling it.

On the flip side an E93 would be cheaper to run but would depreciate more so its all relative and just a bit of luck when your buying a car as you already know.

I think you need to own one as you pretty much owned every E46 in every shape form and colour except for the M3 which I think you will love.