DazRave

[DazRave] Titanium Silver 330Ci Sport

1-introduction.png

Right, let's give this a go shall we...

I'm starting this thread for myself as a way to document what I want to do and what I end up achieving, however if it makes an enjoyable read for anyone else or perhaps even inspires someone else in anyway at all, then that's a bonus!

Firstly, I'm by no means an expert in car mechanics (or car electronics for that matter) nor have I ever written a build thread before, I'm simply an expert googler and love to tinker with things. Any type of coding, Android devices, Raspberry Pi's etc is what i'm good at. So hopefully I can use these skillsets on my car.

I'm a little obsessed with automation, things happening on their own to make my life easier. I'm the sort of person who expects the lights to already be on in the house before I even get the key in the front door without the need to flick a switch or clap my hands furiously at the ceiling.

2-thecar.png

Purchased in June 2013 as a birthday present to myself (Which is on June 28th, in case you're generous with presents), it's a Silver E46 330Ci 'Sport' (it's not Cider, it's Cidre! :ph34r:). Bought completely stock with just one previous owner, it had just under 80k on the clock at the time of purchase (although it's about 95k now!). Couple of stone chips and slight surface rust in the usual places but apart from that it was in incredible condition.

3-worksofar.png

Mainly just cosmetic at the moment

• Carbon Fibre badges
  • Pressed Plates
  • LED Rear Plate light
  • Custom LED boot lights
  • AUX Input/Built in phone charger
  • Coupé rear quarter window switch mod (allows for auto open & close)
  • Misc Recoding (flash & beep on lock/unlock, one touch windows etc)
4-whatstocome.png
  • Spacers - I can hardly see those back wheels in that dark cave of a wheel arch!
  • MV2 Refurb - They are getting a bit tatty now. Could do with a clean up.
  • Angel Eyes - Planning to link them to the internal light (footwell) so they fade on/off.
  • Coilovers - Something I'd like to do, but still unsure if I will
  • 'OEM look' Tablet Headunit- Got all the parts for this already (or on their way). Will attempt the install over the summer. ( Testing my custom boot screen)
  • Misc Styling - Internal LEDs all round, black roof wrap, headlight upgrade, number plate plinth delete.
5-gallery.png

Not an amazing amount of photos, but it is pretty standard still so not much to show yet really!

longshot.jpg

newrearplate.jpg

bootlights.jpg

Edited by DazRave

Hi Daz,

First of all welcome to the forum your car looks really tidy :)

In respect to the Angels Mod ... Try using the oven first, I've just recently done a bi - xenon mod using parts form existing M3 headlights

I'll be honest and say it was easy even though I could not shut the door on the oven...... 15 mins on 120 deg c the bitumen was really easy to separate

It will be safer than using a heat gun as the temperature is spread evenly all over the head light and not concentrated in one area

There are loads of guides that you can follow just hit the search button top right

Cheers and good luck :thumbup:

Edited by Mr Xen

Nice intro- i look forward to your updates Daz.

Thanks Jay. Recently followed you on insta (you probably noticed!). Photos of your car's that i've come across in the past is pretty much the reason I want to lower mine.

First of all welcome to the forum your car looks really tidy :)

...Try using the oven first...

Thank you sir. I did contemplate doing it the 'oven' way to be honest but the thought of it scares me haha! I'll read a few more guides and work out my best options from there!

Looks a really good base to start with. One owner from new must a rarity these days!

Looking forward to what you do with this :)

I've got a rust bubble on one of the arches but apart from that it is in pretty good shape. I was pretty chuffed when I realised it was one owner (as i bought it from salesman). I actually found out eventually that a colleague of mine bought a E46 ('05 Vert) from the same place a few months after me with one previous owner too. I think they get their cars straight from BMW Dealerships.

Looks nice mate, i bet after 2 years of ownership you can't wait to do a bit of modding. Will keep an eye on your progress!

Oh yes. Certainly! I've got a list as long as my arm..... well, leg (i'm 6 foot 3 so pretty long legs too!) of things i want to do. After deciding I'm deffo keeping the car for at least another year or two, now's the time to mod!

Progress update:

I work next door to BMW Stockport, so i've just now popped in to get the recalled airbag booked in. Don't know why I hadn't popped in to get it sorted earlier to be honest! Love parking it next to the shiny cars! haha.

For anyone in the area who hasn't had theirs done. Apparently takes half a day and they have plenty of parts in stock at the moment too! I foolishly told the guy i worked around the corner so he didn't offer me a courtesy car or anything, damn! :P but if they clean it too that would be a bonus!

Well written up, looks really nice but we need more pictures! Will be interested to see your headunit, like the idea of doing one but just don't have the knowhow. I'm a fellow silver 330ci'er like yourself.

Edited by Ed-B

Well written up, looks really nice but we need more pictures! Will be interested to see your headunit, like the idea of doing one but just don't have the knowhow. I'm a fellow silver 330ci'er like yourself.

I actually didn't want to post to many snaps of it when it's sitting so OEM haha! How about a video of it instead! https://youtu.be/7gHznfFIUQs?t=8s(Don't judge me! haha)

Couple more that were sat on my phone...

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/gallery/image/5234-servicing/

And a quick photoshop after looking at the cost of black vinyl to see if i want to do the roof....

As for the tablet install. I'm following (loosely) a few guides i've seen for most of the install (keeping original HU hidden etc). At the moment, when connected to power/AUX in it works pretty well, with just a tiny bit of Alternator fuzz/feedback/static. This should be sorted with a cheapo ebay special 'ground loop' sat between the Tablet and the HU though I hope!

Welcome to the forums Daz. Love an overly organised thread! lol I'm looking forward to what you do with the tablet install! Is it going to replace the factory stereo completely?

Welcome to the forums Daz. Love an overly organised thread! lol I'm looking forward to what you do with the tablet install! Is it going to replace the factory stereo completely?

Thanks Naj, was reading your build thread earlier this morning actually! Love what you've done.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I have thing about consistency too, as you have noticed just with the build thread itself! So, in terms of the Tablet and HU. I'm using the original Business HU I have and I hope to re-wire it into the Glovebox (which to be fair, i very rarely use as it's a clutter catcher and i hate clutter!). The tablet will link up with the HU giving me control of the steering wheel volume etc still. I did have the idea of a bluetooth HU hidden in the glove box instead (this then giving me hands free with my phone) however I'd prefer steering wheel volume controls over in car calling anyday. I hardly talk on the phone anyway, cars are for driving!

Thanks Naj, was reading your build thread earlier this morning actually! Love what you've done.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I have thing about consistency too, as you have noticed just with the build thread itself! So, in terms of the Tablet and HU. I'm using the original Business HU I have and I hope to re-wire it into the Glovebox (which to be fair, i very rarely use as it's a clutter catcher and i hate clutter!). The tablet will link up with the HU giving me control of the steering wheel volume etc still. I did have the idea of a bluetooth HU hidden in the glove box instead (this then giving me hands free with my phone) however I'd prefer steering wheel volume controls over in car calling anyday. I hardly talk on the phone anyway, cars are for driving!

Sounds good mate, although you can get aftermarket Bluetooth headunit's that hook up to the steering wheel controls, giving you the best of all worlds :)

I did consider doing a tablet install and rerouting my headunit to the cubby hole by the drivers knee, I found that the headunit would fit perfectly in there...and it gives you access to it at all times. But I ended up going against that idea due to cost alone

Edited by Naj

I did consider doing a tablet install and rerouting my headunit to the cubby hole by the drivers knee, I found that the headunit would fit perfectly in there.

You mean the little drop down one above the OBD socket and below the headlight controls? I'm astonished that the original head unit fits in there?? surely not? If it does, however, I'd much prefer it there.

I've looked into a lot of the bluetooth kits etc, however i want to keep the build as cheap as possible and the only kits i've seen that are any good are pretty pricey. I only paid £40 for the tablet itself! haha. (which is a rooted Tesco Hudl that I've flashed a custom ROM onto in order to get rid of all the Tesco bloatware!)

Yep, my Pioneer DEH 8500BT (Standard DIN size) fit well into there (Wiring would need to be routed a hole in the back though)

I see! That sounds hella interesting - I'd be intruiged to see how well that works. I've been against Android systems as a whole after dealing with my old HTC Desire where I found I was loading new roms weekly just to be able to use it! I'm back on a Android system In the guise of a headunit this time round though... Still getting to the grips of the android OS.

Welcome Daz like your intro very good and looks like s cracking base car to start with fella.good thing about this site there is always some one on here to help if you are ever stuck with something and always loads of parts up for grabs at good prices...look forward to following your build fella

Yep, my Pioneer DEH 8500BT (Standard DIN size) fit well into there (Wiring would need to be routed a hole in the back though)

I see! That sounds hella interesting - I'd be intruiged to see how well that works. I've been against Android systems as a whole after dealing with my old HTC Desire where I found I was loading new roms weekly just to be able to use it! I'm back on a Android system In the guise of a headunit this time round though... Still getting to the grips of the android OS.

VERY interesting. Thank you for letting me know, i'm going to take some measurements this weekend me thinks.

Re:Android. the OS is never to everyones taste (*cough*especially iphone users*cough*) however it's so customisable, you can see from the photo that i've already started creating my own 'car friendly' touch screen UI.

Welcome Daz...look forward to following your build fella

Thanks matey :) I introduced myself officially about a year ago (then pretty much disappeared for awhile!). One massive thing I've noticed is how friendly the BMW community is compared to the very show boaty VW one I've come from!

Edited by DazRave

VERY interesting. Thank you for letting me know, i'm going to take some measurements this weekend me thinks.

Re:Android. the OS is never to everyones taste (*cough*especially iphone users*cough*) however it's so customisable, you can see from the photo that i've already started creating my own 'car friendly' touch screen UI.

haha! I've got both now, so I'm in the middle :ph34r:

How does it work with a tablet mounted in lads? like Naj said, do you have to put your headunit in a different location and run the audio through that but control it from the tablet mounted in the dash?

So its essentially just like using a tablet connected to your usb function on your headunit but the tablet takes the place of where the headunit was and the headunit goes else where, almost like a iPad/Android tablet docking station?

Maybe go for the ipad kit? Will look alot better than having it randomly placed, workes with the steering wheel too.

https://www.facebook.com/customcarinteriors/posts/277645302409987

IPads don't do anywhere near the things I'm setting an android tablet to do. Also, did you think I was just going to stick it over the current dash? Haha. That photo was me just holding it up to where it will go. I've a double din bezel etc. I'm way too much of a perfectionist, it has to look OEM.

How does it work with a tablet mounted in lads? like Naj said, do you have to put your headunit in a different location and run the audio through that but control it from the tablet mounted in the dash?

So its essentially just like using a tablet connected to your usb function on your headunit but the tablet takes the place of where the headunit was and the headunit goes else where, almost like a iPad/Android tablet docking station?

Yes, pretty much. I'll be hiding BMW business head unit in glovebox which connects to tablet via AUX. Tablet charges when ignition is on which then wakes tablet from a sleeping (which it should be able to stay in for a week without being charged at all). Unlike a lot of tablet build threads around which literally just stick a tablet in the dashboard, I'm building my own user interface to make it in-car user friendly! So think of it more of a touch screen media centre and forget about it being a tablet at all.

Sounds like a very good project mate one i'd love to see when finished!

Cheers matey.

Once I start to do more then just the software building (so, once there is something to actually take a photo of) I'll start a build thread just for the tablet install.

P.s. absolutely love the colour of yours BTW. Stunning.