hh1

Can anyone shed some light on these android head units please?

Thanks dude, so basically the blue cable is the key! Will check it out next weekend :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so to be clear, basically roughly follow this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emWRgKmKv5A and use this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-EU55-Antenna-Adapter-European/dp/B0007WW64Y  ??

That's the ticket.

RE: reverse camera. It sounds like the reverse trigger wire is connected to the canbus box (pink wire). You'll need to cut that (middle is best so you can reconnect it once you get the reverse camera installed). 

8 hours ago, dontpannic said:

That's the ticket.

RE: reverse camera. It sounds like the reverse trigger wire is connected to the canbus box (pink wire). You'll need to cut that (middle is best so you can reconnect it once you get the reverse camera installed). 

Thanks aain. I managed to get my radio working tonight :) But only for 2 minutes, boo :( The wiring harness from the unit which plugs into the cars' harness had a spare blue cable not connected labelled amp. Meanwhile, my radio had another lead with a bunch of wires and one blue cable labelled ant. Once connected, full clear radio signal was found :) But after a bit of fiddling - it all went away :( I think I've blown something .....

IMG_0822_zpsncqfsptl.jpg

28 minutes ago, The_Judge_ said:

Thanks aain. I managed to get my radio working tonight :) But only for 2 minutes, boo :( The wiring harness from the unit which plugs into the cars' harness had a spare blue cable not connected labelled amp. Meanwhile, my radio had another lead with a bunch of wires and one blue cable labelled ant. Once connected, full clear radio signal was found :) But after a bit of fiddling - it all went away :( I think I've blown something .....

IMG_0822_zpsncqfsptl.jpg

OK - I think this is the key-> so if I understand this is all basically getting the new radio unit to supply power to the diversity amplifier in the C Pillar. I'm assuming what I just did tonight was route power via pin 16 - but presumably pin 16 on my car is not the antenna anymore as mine is a 2002. Hence I need to get the adapter I posted earlier or this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271245768626 and hopefully that fixes it by sending power back down the centre of the aerial wire ....

Just to add to the questions on this topic, where does the pink rear view camera trigger wire plug into? I've got my camera all hooked up and working on Car Record, but how do I trigger the camera to come on screen automatically when I go into reverse?

Also, has anyone else had issues with a very faint whining interference from the front speakers?

On 2/8/2016 at 23:09, The_Judge_ said:

IMG_0822_zpsncqfsptl.jpg

The grey cable is labelled 'ant' there - that's the one you'd ideally want to use - the blue cable in the loom in this case is labelled amp - for external amplifiers. The blue cable from your antenna adaptor needs to be connected in this case to the wire labelled 'ant' for antenna.

11 hours ago, Naj said:

Just to add to the questions on this topic, where does the pink rear view camera trigger wire plug into? I've got my camera all hooked up and working on Car Record, but how do I trigger the camera to come on screen automatically when I go into reverse?

Also, has anyone else had issues with a very faint whining interference from the front speakers?

If you've got the canbus box, there's a pink wire on there you can use - however I found that glitchy. You can either run a cable all the way to the back of the car and connect it to the reverse light bulb +12v wire, or you could do as I've done, and use one of the three reverse trigger wires above the fuse box (blue with yellow stripe IIRC).

20 hours ago, Naj said:

You wire the trigger camera into the positive feed from your rear light as soon as there is power to it (when you select reverse) the unit will switch to reverse camera.

10 hours ago, dontpannic said:

The grey cable is labelled 'ant' there - that's the one you'd ideally want to use - the blue cable in the loom in this case is labelled amp - for external amplifiers. The blue cable from your antenna adaptor needs to be connected in this case to the wire labelled 'ant' for antenna.

If you've got the canbus box, there's a pink wire on there you can use - however I found that glitchy. You can either run a cable all the way to the back of the car and connect it to the reverse light bulb +12v wire, or you could do as I've done, and use one of the three reverse trigger wires above the fuse box (blue with yellow stripe IIRC).

Actually that pic is misleading - the blue cable has the 'Ant' label - i.e. the one I connected to 'Amp' from the harness, that wire is in pin 16.

Im going to plug my old radio back in later - to double check I haven't blown a fuse or my amp.

Got my radio working finally ... my brutish hands must have tore at the radio cable from the car - so that the main fakra connection basically fell off with gentle prodding, hence I just wasn't receiving a radio signal at all!

IMG_0823_zpsyn8vxpoe.jpg

I should really learn how to solder but for now, I bought a new female fakra connection, twisted cables together, lots of black tape and it's kind of good as new. This now means  still have a female fakra connector from the radio/aerial from the car should I ever want to change radio unit again in the future.

So anyway - from that point onwards, it's basically as dontpanic said (oh also the answer to life, universe and everything is 42 ...)

The aerial supply lead from the car allows a car stereo to pick up a radio signal - however there is some BMW magic here. This aerial needs power for the (diversity) amplifier in the rear passenger side c pillar to get a good radio signal. When the standard BMW CD/Tape deck is connected, it draws power and feeds it to the amplifier by supplying it along the same aerial cable it's getting a radio signal from. However, non-BMW stereos, including these Chinese units aren't designed to do that, it's BMW specific (and some VWs). So just connecting the E46 aerial into the stereo is not good enough - you need to power the amplifier too. (http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/25079-poor-radio-reception-after-market-head-units/) else you get little to no radio reception.

Modern car stereos supply aerial power through a different cable (not the aerial output). In my case, one of the cables coming out of the rear of the android unit was a blue cable called 'Amp', this is the aerial power supply.

There were now two options for me:

Option 1 - Buy one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271245768626?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. They allow you to send both the aerial signal cable and power cable from the android unit .. down the single fakra aerial connector in the car. 

Option 2 - Some radios, like my chinese android unit take power from the main radio harness in the car, specifically pin 16. You can see in my pic, the blue cable coming out of pin 16 was labelled 'Amp' - it supplies the power, and once I connected this to the power supply cable from my radio, all was sweet!

IMG_0830_zpsycstg0k6.jpg

IMG_0831_zpsqhyvplmq.jpg

All sorted now :)

Has any one bought this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171819284381?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I need a new unit in my new clubsport.

Things I'd like are:

The illumination to match the rest of the car.

Track names on bluetooth streaming.

Names to come up when people call (my old Eonon D5150 never did this)

Could anyone tell me if that unit does the above?

I think from what I've read android is more reliable than the WINCE units.

I guess I also need to order the extension cable as I've got the factory shat nav.

Cheers

Ben

9 hours ago, bennno2005 said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171819284381?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Things I'd like are:

I guess I also need to order the extension cable as I've got the factory shat nav.

Cheers

Ben

I have just ordered one of these awaiting delivery will update once I get it fitted 

12 hours ago, bennno2005 said:

Things I'd like are:

Cheers

Ben

I've also ordered one of these just waiting to fit it, work on my house keeps getting in the way !! Don't think I'll be having the reversing camera, just want a decent sat nav, iPod control and music player 

Same question about that eBay one posted by Benno... Would like to put it in my E46

I am coming from having a Dynavin in my old E90, but cant afford/justify the cost of the Dynavin unit for the E46.

Main things required are;

1) To play and charge iPod when in use (ideally iPod just put in glovebox connected and forget)

2) To show track info/album art would be a bonus, but to be able to ffwd / rwd - as the Dynavin did not let you do that.

3) DAB - love DAB stations! So ideal to have that

4) Reverse camera feature.

5) Bluetooth Audio & Telephone compatibility with iPhone 6

One thing I didn't like too much about the Dynavin on the E90 was, it took ages to boot up, and so, your parking sensors or reverse cam wouldn't work until it's booted up (20 secs or so) so if you got in your car, you'd have to wait 20 seconds before being able to reverse out of your car park space etc.

Edited by SeanyK

Ben - I have the erisin 2046 which is pretty spot on for illumination and names come up when making or receiving calls through bluetooth. Track info doesn't come up when b/t streaming but I am going to try the Malyask rom which might help. Would be good to know if possible.

Seanyk - most if not all the quad core units have full iPod and bluetooth integration but you will need an add-on for DAB and obviously will need to buy a reverse camera separately. Mine switches into reverse cam before being fully booted. Then once out of reverse it will continue booting up. So no waiting for the unit to boot before reversing 

Edited by Lawyered07

20 hours ago, Lawyered07 said:

Ben - I have the erisin 2046 which is pretty spot on for illumination and names come up when making or receiving calls through bluetooth. Track info doesn't come up when b/t streaming but I am going to try the Malyask rom which might help. Would be good to know if possible.

Seanyk - most if not all the quad core units have full iPod and bluetooth integration but you will need an add-on for DAB and obviously will need to buy a reverse camera separately. Mine switches into reverse cam before being fully booted. Then once out of reverse it will continue booting up. So no waiting for the unit to boot before reversing 

Cool cheers. They seem a bit dearer and I can only find them for sale in Hong Kong. I need to buy the sat nav extension cable, 

On 2/15/2016 at 18:57, MindOne said:

I have just ordered one of these awaiting delivery will update once I get it fitted 

Nice one let me know once fitted! Cheers!

20 hours ago, Lawyered07 said:

Awesome thank you, so your Erisin 2046, that can do all the stuff I want (rear cam, dab, bluetooth phone, iPod  + bluetooth audio? )  As a lot I seem to find has one but not the other, it seems a problem finding one that has the DAB option, the latest Eonin one doesn't have it, I don't really wanna fuss around loading apps up just to get a DAB station kinda thing... As 9 times out of 10 I just have DAB on or iPod, I barely use Bluetooth audio streaming or internet radio stations.

But saying that, definitely want a unit that looks OEM, so can rule out the Alpines/Pioneers/Parrot etc

3 hours ago, SeanyK said:

Awesome thank you, so your Erisin 2046, that can do all the stuff I want (rear cam, dab, bluetooth phone, iPod  + bluetooth audio? )  As a lot I seem to find has one but not the other, it seems a problem finding one that has the DAB option, the latest Eonin one doesn't have it, I don't really wanna fuss around loading apps up just to get a DAB station kinda thing... As 9 times out of 10 I just have DAB on or iPod, I barely use Bluetooth audio streaming or internet radio stations.

But saying that, definitely want a unit that looks OEM, so can rule out the Alpines/Pioneers/Parrot etc

I'm now not sure about DAB having just looked at the eBay listing. I thought there was an add-on for DAB...I remember thinking about getting it at the time. Defo works for the rest of it, although you will need cables and reverse cam. 

I paid 240 for mine (postage was £25!) from the erisin website around Xmas which came from the UK. 

Edited by Lawyered07
Stupid phone

On 2/18/2016 at 14:44, bennno2005 said:

Cool cheers. They seem a bit dearer and I can only find them for sale in Hong Kong. I need to buy the sat nav extension cable, 

Nice one let me know once fitted! Cheers!

So having it fitted I can confirm like the others have no DAB, and yes to all your other requirements, have to say after installing Poweramp app sound is amazing on stock speaker setup. Be careful when fitting this, I managed to damage my center vents as they are a pain to try and remove to get the standard cage out. Also can someone clarify what I need for the radio connection, my car is a 2002 and the standard connection doesn't fit with the supplied one. My only issue is contacts don't sync on bluetooth, not sure how to solve this yet

The Navall DAB+ box works pretty well to give DAB on mine (Eonon GA5150F). It connects using a USB port, and you load an app onto the unit.
 http://75andzt.com/dab-android-dab-navall  It should work with any Android unit with a spare USB port and audio inputs.

Some small downsides - at startup it switches to the AV In input and the DAB app loads in the background and the radio starts playing, which leaves the stereo showing the AV video input (with a blank screen) - the DAB unit uses the AV audio feed only and their app shows the user interface. So to get to the DAB app user interface you need to press the home key, and then the icon for the DAB app - I've put an icon on the homescreen. You still get the DAB radio sounds playing though when the stereo boots up.

Also the instructions are poor, and occasionally it needs a retune as sometimes the channel you select isn't the one that gets played (takes about 1 minute to retune - this might get fixed with an app update in future).

For decent DAB reception you will need a separate aerial, I tried a DAB splitter off the car's aerial feed but the signal is very poor (mainly due to the aerial amplifiers on the E46 filtering the signal I think).

I don't want another exterior aerial on mine, and I've struggled to find a decent interior aerial that works well, but I'm playing around building/tweaking my own dipole aerial at the moment which are performing extremely well - about an hour's work with some coaxial cable and some pieces of wire. Alternatively a loft dipole DAB aerial would probably work well if you don't want an aerial outside the car, these are about 65cm long so could be hidden in the boot. Whatever aerial you choose, you need one that ends in an SMA plug to connect to the Navall box, I used this adaptor to convert a TV type plug into the SMA: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252170559363?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Tim-Ci