Dicky

Sticky Exterior Door Handle Fix

Hi guys, I just bought my first BMW this week and had this exact same problem. I read all the above and then went for it!

I loosened the bolt by turning it left then tightened it again to the right (enough, but not too much). Now I can open the car door with one finger like on the video ?

Sorry this doesn't help you Trickster but it certainly worked for me ☺

Geez, bolt wouldn't even budge one bit, was tight as anything, almost broke my hand off trying to turn it. Might have to spray it with some WD40 or something later

I wouldn't force it, it isn't a place where a bolt would seize really - it's probably just dialled all the way in.

Tried this with mine as the passenger handle is a bit of a pain and people who get rides from me are useless so I have to keep bending across to open it from the inside. I'm just leaving it, I can see it ending with my door off. But, I do find it much easier if I lift the handle up as well as out when opening the door and this makes it much easier. Pulling straight out it's very stiff.

There are two designs, early one pull straight out, later ones arc up and out.

Tried this today on my drivers door and it made no difference at all. On my touring there is a little cover higher up than this screw cover, about level with the door handle, took it off and sprayed some silicon spray in there - all good now.

It seems that this video is a bit miss leading, in dealership we used to slacken off the bolt lift the handle to approx half free play and tighten the bolt at the same time, also worth mentioning the bolt has a left hand thread which I think explains a few peoples problems. Once adjusted the mechanism needs lubricating some sort of spray grease is best (do it with window up) use a can with a long tube and spray though the access holes and down the side of the outer handle in the upward position.

Hope this helps.

excellent advice and worked a treat.

Spotted this on another forum and it is an excellent little video to show you how to fix that common problem that is the sticking E46 door handle unsure.gif

Here you go :-

[media=]

I had a look for this in my door and couldn't find it!!!! wtf?

didnt really work on mine, i think because of the age of these cars, the handles would benefit more from a decent spray of silicone grease, this adjustment while more than likely snap something in the handle especially this time of year with it being so cold

I had a look for this in my door and couldn't find it!!!! wtf?

didnt really work on mine, i think because of the age of these cars, the handles would benefit more from a decent spray of silicone grease, this adjustment while more than likely snap something in the handle especially this time of year with it being so cold

I just did mine a little while ago... I found the bit you turn was further in the door (I don't know why) but works PERFECT now! Thanks for the guide! Only had to turn it a tiny bit.

I've found if you pop the cover off, give the mech a liberal dosage of wd40, leave it for 5 mins then adjust, it works better. When I take my door cards off I'm. Going to give the entire mech a good dose of white grease.

I've found if you pop the cover off, give the mech a liberal dosage of wd40, leave it for 5 mins then adjust, it works better. When I take my door cards off I'm. Going to give the entire mech a good dose of white grease.

i'm going to have to do this at some point too!

Tried this out like 15 mins ago. The passenger door was really bad, was getting annoyed with people struggling to open the door. Now its much better. :thumbup:

But tried it on the driver one, and it still is stiff. Tried the wd40 too.

Question is (this might sound stupid), but when i started on it, the thing was tightened in the anticlockwise direction. Is that right, as i have read that both have to be tightened in the clockwise direction. :mad:

Did it in the cold, damn its freezing :(

Tried this out like 15 mins ago. The passenger door was really bad, was getting annoyed with people struggling to open the door. Now its much better. :thumbup:

But tried it on the driver one, and it still is stiff. Tried the wd40 too.

Question is (this might sound stupid), but when i started on it, the thing was tightened in the anticlockwise direction. Is that right, as i have read that both have to be tightened in the clockwise direction. :mad:

Did it in the cold, damn its freezing :(

The driver side on mine which had the problem.. I had to turn clockwise to unlock/loosen it. Not sure about the passenger side.

The driver side on mine which had the problem.. I had to turn clockwise to unlock/loosen it. Not sure about the passenger side.

Thanks will try it out tomorrow.

My drivers is anticlockwise to tighten, passenger clockwise IIRC.

Thanks tried that out but still its stiff, might spray some more wd40 tomorrow. :thumbsup:

just tried this on my e46 coupe and, its spot on, worked perfectly, i had to tighten it anti-clockwise all the way until it was tight and jobs a gooden