manwithtool

inpa code help

I just bought the cble and inpa software to read any codes on my 2003 325i touring.  Seems quite good but the error codes I'm reading don't match anything I can see.  I have 3 error codes. they are 8, 227 and 228.  If my German translation is right 8 is the mass air flow sensor and 227 and 228 are lambda sensors bank 1 and 2.

I've done about 2000 mile before the engine warning light came on.  98000 miles when I bought it and now just under 100k  It says codes were cleared at 2776 hours and hours now 2866.  Would I be right in thinking the codes were wiped just before I bought the car ?  Bit sneaky if that's the case !  Still I expect issues with a 15 year old 100k mile car.

Any help advice on the error s and fixing them appreciated.  

Thanks

Thanks all.

I just changed the auto oil and wile cycling the gears at idle the car started missing on 1 cyl.  Stopped it and it was ok a few minutes later.  I wonder if the engine runs a bit rich when error codes flash up ? keeps the engine safe I beleive from running lean and hot.  Anyway cleared the codes and we'll see how it goes.

Well I cleared the codes but light came back on about 140 miles later.  Was on a long drive not short journey. 

I wonder if the MAF fault might result in Lambda problems.  I'll have to re read the codes tonight and see if it's the same.  I'm lucky as my wife has a 2002 325i convertible so might clear the codes and swap MAF.  I think it's only a 5 minute job ?

New MAF prices vary a lot.  From £20 to over £200, any recomendations if I do have to buy one ?

Well I swapped MAF sensors with my wifes 325i Ci, then I read the error codes.....this time just the lambda sensors come up.  I did replace the fuel filter/regulator and the vacuum pipe was perished and possibly broken.  I guess that would give an air leak and possibly come up as a MAF fault ?  Anyway.  Looking at the service history it had a new "pre Cat lambda sensor" fitted less than 3000 miles ago in Jan.  So might just try replacing the other one first.

any thoughts ? advice welcome.  I know these lambda sensors can be a pig to get out sometimes.  I have some special tools for it so fingers crossed.