Stu9

Could I go back to petrol from diesel

Maybe!......I went to see an 03 318 (2.0) but it's a saloon not the est I was really looking for, but was surprised how nifty/quick'ish it was. I've had 2.0 petrols before but fords! vx! Saab ect, but the BM was (to me) noticeably quicker. The only thing I think I'd miss is the low down torque/grunt having had diesels for the last 2-3 years, but apart from that, not much else. A mate also said (and my mother) also the mechanic I use, said that the amount of miles I do (7-10,000) doesn't justify diesel. I also said to them that it's the cheaper rd tax too, and again, they all said, but when you break it down, it's only about £1-1.50 a week difference (which again is true),

So the bottom line is.....do I go back to petrol and except 10 ish less mpg (about town) and a bit higher rd tax, or stick to diesel

If you already have the diesel stick with it unless you want a new car. Changing cars for economy is not economical. ( almost all of the time )

I know...I'm driving a Pug just now, I just wanted something diffirent

I do around 6-8k a year and I have a 330d.

I'd never go Petrol unless it was M3.. :)

You think stick to diesel too Edited by Stu9

Someone on here said to me if you enjoy the benefits of the money saving on the diesel then dont change. I can compare the running costs between my 320d and my mates 318ci and we both don't do mega mileage yet my wallet is soo much better off. I'm also £15 a week better off on fuel then my work mates 318is doing roughly the same mileage a week. Insurance and tax is usually cheaper on diesels to.

Saying that, I'd take a 330 petrol over my car any day :)

If you already have the diesel stick with it unless you want a new car. Changing cars for economy is not economical. ( almost all of the time )

I know...I'm driving a Pug just now, I just wanted something diffirent

I do around 6-8k a year and I have a 330d.

I'd never go Petrol unless it was M3.. :)

You think stick to diesel too

I thought you had a 320d or something not a pug! I wouldn't get a diesel e46 tbh inflated prices and the milage you are doing there isn't going to be a saving, plus e46's are getting on now so more likely to be noisy, black smog machines, turbos etc. ( not always the case if looked after )

I thought you had a 320d or something not a pug! )

I did but (stupidly) sold it

So some say stick to diesel.....I know what you say about high diesel prices (as in buying them) it's people cashing in, I'll work out the miles I roughly do and tally things up and take it from that. I know there's injectors, they cost a bloody fortune, infact if you're unlucky to need 4, you're chaping the door of a grand, depending on new or second hand and where you get them

Like I say, I'll tally things up as best I can and take it from that

Great question....

Apart from the usual - how many miles etc etc, I have always found diesel ownership more expensive from a parts point of view and dare I say more problematic too..but maybe this is my poor luck. (pumps/dpf etc etc)

But ignoring all that I prefer petrol due to one simple factor - I prefer the sound ! That sounds really lame, but I HATE the diesel tick over but LOVE the tuned note of a tight petrol engine blipping....Like I said yes its lame but the last time I heard there was no such term as Diesel Head ??

For the record I'm not bothered with fuel mpg (only 150 miles per week) but more bothered about how the drive sounds and feels on the road...

If I've tallied it up right, I'd be about £120 a year worse off with a petrol, that's inc tax, that'd be either a 318 or 320 as I only do believe it or not (I was shocked when I worked it out)........about 4000 a year if I'm lucky.....still prefer the est though

Edited by Stu9

I hate the sound of diesel

4-cylinder diesels sound rubbish. 5-s are better, but 6- or more sound ace! I prefer the sound of my M57N to my old M20. :)

My 330d is far cheaper to run than my old LPG'd 320i E30.

Yep. When I was looking to buy my car (many moons ago) I initially looked at 320d's but quickly realised for another couple of grand (at the time) purchase price I could get a 330d.

IIRC the tax was £50 a year more and insurance was another £50 more. Fuel - once mapped there was nothing in it (compared to an un-mapped 320d). In fact my brother used to have a 320d sport and we used to get very similar economy figures. We live a couple of streets away from each other and used to work down the road from each other so fuel economy comparisons were easy for us. Only i'd always get to my destination a sh*t load quicker! :lol:

Before my BM I had an ol' 1995 405 Tdi estate. Awesome car! Taught me the meaning of lift-off oversteer! lol.

Still miss it.. I actually looked it up with a view of buying it back a couple of years ago but found out it'd been written off.. :(

This all sounds eerily similar!

I'm currently driving a 2000 406 Hdi, absolutely brilliant car for reliability. It's been trouble free motoring for a year and I only paid £100 for it!

Now looking at a 330ci, can't wait to get back into a petrol to be honest. If I had more to play with I'd like a 330d coupe but they're hard to find and silly money. Hence I'm going for the petrol, I can put up with the mpg decrease and there's far more choice to ensure I don't buy a s**tter.

Tom.

330ci a good choice, you get a few less mpg than a 320i, but only about 3mpg or something aparantly. I couldn't get one due to insurance too high for my age compared to 320 :{ I do about 8k miles a year in mine, petrol doesn't bother me too much in cost. The petrol 6cyl m54 engine does sound awesome though when you floor it. I'll add I get around average mpg 30, and I only really drive town and a-roads, pretty much a weekend car, i don't commute in it

Edited by rickeh

25, and my 320ci is 400 a year fully comp, or it was something like 600 for a 330i. Also at the time I couldn't find any decent 330 for my budget, which was £1500-£2000 ;D

Might try a smaller company like sky insurance though in future as my renewal is up on April. Using admiral atm

Edited by rickeh