CoupEdin

Black 330Ci - Super Deluxe 'sleeper'

Thought I'd start a build thread to share what I'm doing and keep me motivated. 

The base car is a Sapphire black 2002 330CI Sport, Hellbeige front electric/heated leather, Auto gearbox, Xenons, Power Mirrors, Rain Sensor, HK, FCA, TV and Nav. 

I became only the third owner last year, with 74,000 on the clock and a complete BMW FSH. 

Having owned the same model back in 2003, a 325Ci in silver, manual, cloth interior with literally no extras, I've now got a great opportunity to create my perfect E46.

Which means; it looks completely standard on the outside, has a supercharger under the bonnet, slightly firmer at each corner, slightly quicker steering, better brakes and with every comfort and extra inside a great cabin. I don't want it louder or lower.  And I don't want to use anything other than OE for anything you can see or touch.

Now, I know I could buy an M3, but that just becomes an arms race, my brother's had several, and they're just a bit too 'shouty' for me.

a1.JPG

Edited by CoupEdin

This car is almost completely original but lived on the street for a long time and has one or two signs of age.  

The bonnet wasn't secured properly by owner #2 which meant it flipped up, folded in half and has been replaced.  The paint job on this replacement is shocking, hardly any paint
at all, and has worn away in parts. Do I find an original bonnet in the same colour or get this repainted?

Both front wheelarches are fine but the near side has been creased and the bumper on that corner is slightly out of alignment.  Paint required. 

And the lower parts of the front bumper are badly grazed from kerbing.  Paint required.

Elsewhere the rear window seals are badly worn and need to be replaced, but at £86 each I'm going to see if I can source them cheaper from the US.

Other bad points:

The front screen has a chip that can't be repaired and it will fail it's MOT :-( Maybe a chance to retrofit the Comfort Glass, which I had before.
The windscreen washer has the bad earth problem
The AM radio doesn't work at all and FM is 'patchy' - I'm thinking the rear screen is the culprit, having already tried to clean all the contacts in the antennae amp
My wife kerbed the OSF wheel 'parking'! 
The valve cover gasket is leaking.
The power steering fluid reservoir is leaking

Bought two new keys and would like to finish it with the wallet key some day

Had the owners manuals, and loads of receipts

So far I've fitted or retro-fitted

Rear blind
Third head rest
Centre three point belt
Ski hatch
Compass mirror
Aux input
Mk 4 DVD Nav
BMW Telephone ULF Gen 9
Digital TV upgrade
Sharkfin 
OE Rear LED lights
Facelit trim piece above the rear number plate
SSG shift button steering wheel - retrimmed +2mm - M Sport lower trim piece
Boot release button
Reversing camera
X5 E53 Intensive Wash stalk
Later Climate Control panel
Dateless plate

b1.JPG

Edited by CoupEdin

SSG wheel was a nice project got the wheel recovered by TrimDeluxe.  With it being an auto there are times when button shifting is handy.  I wanted to keep the M Sport wheel trim piece, so the trimmer filled in the gap.  Here's the wheel as it came out of the scrapped donor car.

c1.jpg

And here's my wheel out of the car

c01.JPG

This is what it looked like inside - a wee bit of soldering required to get the switches to work - you push either sid to go down a gear and pull either side to go up.  One hand on the wheel only required

c2.jpg

Edited by CoupEdin

I bought the Compass Mirror on US eBay and a colleague brought it back for me.  I was expecting to have to change the plug on either the loom end, or the mirror end, but just for once it was plug and play... cost me about £75.  I already had the auto dim feature btw, and it worked straight off the bat, which was nice!  Took about 10 mins.

I bought the intensive wash stalk for £12.50, it's a direct fit/swap BUT, Intensive Wash is not an E46 option (I subsequently found out) - but all is not lost! What this gives me now is a 'push-to-make' button, which I will either use to turn PDC gong off (sometimes, say when you're on the phone, being able to silence PDC is handy) or if I ever get round to doing the Tungmeister touchscreen with Android I will use the S button to switch between the OE signal (RGB/VGA) and the Android HDMI input - either option via grounding a relay.   You basically run a wire from the switch down through the steering column and behind the dash. 

I've also seen it wired up to the General Module (pin 17 I think) to allow you to manually wash headlights IF you already have the feature.

Will post pics up at the weekend

15 hours ago, CoupEdin said:

I've also seen it wired up to the General Module (pin 17 I think) to allow you to manually wash headlights IF you already have the feature.

That’s a really neat idea, off the top of your head, would it be possible to make the two functions independent? screen or headlights? at the moment I only code them to work in the depths of winter which isn’t exactly and elegant solution.

Thanks Kirky

Going to put an ESS Twin Screw on it - planning to fly to Norway and get it actually. 

Currently trying to work out if when it's got more power whether lowering the Final Drive would make sense.  I'm thinking on long, boring motorway journeys doing about 80-odd dropping the revs down from about 3k to around 2.6k would make sense.

I spoke to John Cockburn at JC Racing, Thirsk, about SC and the Auto box and he didn't see a problem.

I'm really not fan of the original interior - way too beige for me - so taking my inspiration from this 

I bought some two tone door cards and re-coloured the leather Hellbeige.  Went from this

5b671b5621646_BeigeInterior.jpg.6963be1818c33e4483e650b8be21af77.jpg

To this

IMG_0779.jpg

Added the black handbrake gaiter which matches the gear shift gaiter and the bottom half of a black front centre armrest.

Got the seat backs and side trims for £20

Also bought new black carpet side trims and the lateral panels.

If anyone knows a good substance to put on the black of the door cards please let me know

57065B69-3E86-4F40-9304-AADD0A1C2B71.jpeg

Edited by CoupEdin

Thanks - I agree the all beige is criminal, really dates the car.

For now the walnut trim is staying - I've got a spare set which I might have hydro-dipped piano black - by the guy in Cleethorpes.

Thing is I don't like taking door cards on and off too much.

Priorities are front end paint and a replacement windscreen as it has a split/crack and will fail its MOT.  I'm going to pay for an OE BMW screen and get the Climate Comfort, to add another optional extra to the list!

25 minutes ago, CoupEdin said:

Thanks - I agree the all beige is criminal, really dates the car.

For now the walnut trim is staying - I've got a spare set which I might have hydro-dipped piano black - by the guy in Cleethorpes.

Thing is I don't like taking door cards on and off too much.

Priorities are front end paint and a replacement windscreen as it has a split/crack and will fail its MOT.  I'm going to pay for an OE BMW screen and get the Climate Comfort, to add another optional extra to the list!

Sounds like a good plan. I reckon this one will be a real show stopper in a couple of years.

Excited to see the progress.

On 11/07/2018 at 12:57, CoupEdin said:

Yes. Pull towards will wash and wipe the screen, push the S button to wash the headlights, via Pin 17.

it’s pin 12, at least on my 03 touring. great addition but my advice, if you’ve got kids put a isolation switch on it as it’s always live even ignition off keys out. 

On 9/5/2018 at 20:24, incredirog said:

it’s pin 12, at least on my 03 touring. great addition but my advice, if you’ve got kids put a isolation switch on it as it’s always live even ignition off keys out. 

Wow! How strange - thanks for the heads up.

I like your plans for the car CoupEdin, expecially the supercharging part.

One thing that really improved my interior was to cover the black seat back moudinga in black (genuine) alcantara, it just makes the interior feel a bit more classy imho.

It took a few hours, and came out extremely well, and still looks fine after about 3 years. I used a spray contact adhesive to mount the alcantara, and found out that brake cleaner (luckily) removes any overspray without discolouring the alcantara.

Thanks Tim.. I like alcantara and will bear that in mind. 

Next up is paint - front wings, bumper and bonnet  

Being an 02 pre facelift the side repeaters are stupidly half way up the wing. Whereas the M3 has them neatly tucked in those side trim pieces 

So I just bought a pair of M3 side trims, cheap, and all being well will cut-and-shut them with mine, then fill the OE slots before it gets painted.