HOGGERS Posted December 6, 2015 Report Share Posted December 6, 2015 Same process as this I assume ? https://youtu.be/jRcsD2UZkhE Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 6, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 6, 2015 Lol, I asked the same question of Joe all that time ago, though I can't find the messages. I watched that video then, but Joe informed me - it doesn't need to be that complicated. The video is pretty accurate then forward, but skip the whole bit about removing it from the car by undoing the bolts, you don't need to. While still in place, remove the lower trim bit as per the video by prising it away from the side (as per video) and pull it away gently, gently pull the washer thing forward, try to clip it on the trim of your car so it stays temporarily. Then while the headlight is in place, remove the rubber stuff on tipe, using the tips in the video from about 3:30 onwards - you can do this while the headliight is still on the car. Simples, the glass will then come off as per the video. It explains itself while you tackle it, not vey long. The only thing you probably won't get to do it you do it this way is replace the grommet/washer - but I seemed to have survived by not doing that! HOGGERS 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HOGGERS Posted December 7, 2015 Report Share Posted December 7, 2015 Lol, I asked the same question of Joe all that time ago, though I can't find the messages. I watched that video then, but Joe informed me - it doesn't need to be that complicated. The video is pretty accurate then forward, but skip the whole bit about removing it from the car by undoing the bolts, you don't need to. While still in place, remove the lower trim bit as per the video by prising it away from the side (as per video) and pull it away gently, gently pull the washer thing forward, try to clip it on the trim of your car so it stays temporarily. Then while the headlight is in place, remove the rubber stuff on tipe, using the tips in the video from about 3:30 onwards - you can do this while the headliight is still on the car. Simples, the glass will then come off as per the video. It explains itself while you tackle it, not vey long. The only thing you probably won't get to do it you do it this way is replace the grommet/washer - but I seemed to have survived by not doing that! Cool, next problem I have is what set to buy. The one I found about is from Belgium and they are out of stock - don't like the look of the other adverts from Romania ! Do you have the link to the ones you bought? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
HOGGERS Posted December 7, 2015 Report Share Posted December 7, 2015 These are the only ones I can find from Germany but at £100 they seem a little steep! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 7, 2015 Sorry dude, ebay.de for some reason hasn't kept my purchase history. I think I basically got the part number of realoem and hunted ebay.de, can't remember who I bought them off. HOGGERS 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 7, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 7, 2015 On 12/6/2015, 6:59:13, HOGGERS said: Same process as this I assume ? https://youtu.be/jRcsD2UZkhE Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk p.s. - much better instructions from Joe: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/46034-headlight-lenses/?do=findComment&comment=689476 HOGGERS and TriggerFish 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 13, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 13, 2015 So, (for no good reason) - since I had my rear shocks and springs replaced last weekend, I decided to get the fronts done as well. In hindsight it was the ideal opportunity to get bilsteins, h&r, eibachs, something but I decided on all OEM M Sport - which is basically Sachs. Turns out the garage I went to last week in an emergency stiffed me and used Anschler. My mechanic got rid of them so now I have Meyle HD top mounts in the rear, Sachs shocks and springs all round. The difference is immediate - and it's not just round corners. When I accelerate the car feels much more stable its weird how I never noticed before, almost like it's carrying less deadweight behind it :) Epic! HOGGERS 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
RichS Posted December 13, 2015 Report Share Posted December 13, 2015 Sorry to hear about the garage doing you over, it does still happen unfortunately and I think you have to be really specific. But glad you got it sorted, and that its made a noticeable difference for the better:) The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 24, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 24, 2015 (edited) So, it's two weeks after getting all the suspension done and one week after full four wheel alignment. I went to Tyres 'R Us in Birmingham and I can't recommend them enough if they're local to you. The guy who did my car really knew his stuff, knew all about weighting and accounting for the intricacies of the E46 and they were perfectly ok letting me walk under the car when it was on the ramp. It's also the first time in ages someone didn't do the final adjustment until asking me to get in and straighten the steering wheel to what 'I' felt was "straight". All that and I only spent £25.00 + VAT. Unsurprisingly, my tracking was way out: Edited January 1, 2018 by The_Judge_ Ashley1995 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted December 24, 2015 Report Share Posted December 24, 2015 (edited) Tidy that mate only £25 ? thats cheap! Edited December 24, 2015 by Ashley1995 The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted December 24, 2015 Report Share Posted December 24, 2015 Only cheap cos it's grim up norf! ;) The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted December 26, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 26, 2015 (edited) So - I've also noticed my average MPG is visibly better now all the suspension is fixed, it's really weird - I guess the car doesn't feel like it's pushing deadweight anymore ... Right, I've owned this car for two years now. Including the original purchase I estimate I've spent about 7k on it (including original purchase) - pretty ridiculous - but then again what could I have bought last year for 6k (assuming I'd have to spend 1k on stuff on that car anyway), and would it be as much fun and would I have learnt as much about car maintenance, i.e. would I have bothered getting my hands dirty had I bought a newer car all that time ago ? Possibly, who knows, jurys' out ...- There's a part of me though that thinks it's all dead money on this car now - it ain't getting younger, it's approaching 142k miles now. Anyway, in my time I've terracleaned it, replaced he intake manifold and two injectors, somehow increased its average MPG from 27 to about 32, remapped it to 220hp/400+ torque, slapped new discs, pads, suspension, poly bushes all round and the rest, been in three accidents but more importantly met some good peeps on the forum and learnt loads about the E46. I think it's still got a few years in it yet, I just need to get my moneys worth from it now and drive it into the ground! Edited February 5, 2016 by The_Judge_ JasonK 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted January 9, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 9, 2016 (edited) I've had a running problem with my car which I inherited when I bought it - there is a "fin" which clips into the engine bay under-tray. My 'fin' no longer clips in, in fact it's only held in by one of the eight clips, which is surprising as I've driven on long motorway journeys and that one clips still retains it. I tried using silicon last year as a glue for all the other clips and they lasted but it all came off again recently. The problem is the holes where it clips on the undertray are all cracked so the fin isn't actually clipping into anything. So anyway, it was time for pikey fix again - cable ties and drill to the rescue: Who knows, this may outlast the car ..... Edited January 1, 2018 by The_Judge_ alan53 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rasa Posted January 9, 2016 Report Share Posted January 9, 2016 On 26/12/2015 at 15:20, The_Judge_ said: So - I've also noticed my average MPG is visibly better now all the suspension is fixed, it's really weird - I guess the car doesn't feel like it's pushing deadweight anymore ... Right, I've owned this car for two years now. Including the original purchase I estimate I've spent about 7k on it - pretty ridiculous - but then again what could I have bought last year for 6k (assuming I'd have to spend 1k on stuff on that car anyway), and would it be as much fun and would I have learnt as much about car maintenance, i.e. would I have bothered getting my hands dirty had I bought a newer car all that time ago ? Possibly, who knows, jurys' out ...- There's a part of me though that thinks it's all dead money on this car now - it ain't getting younger, it's approaching 142k miles now. Anyway, in my time I've terracleaned it, replaced he intake manifold and two injectors, somehow increased its average MPG from 27 to about 32, remapped it to 220hp/400+ torque, slapped new discs, pads, suspension, poly bushes all round and the rest, been in three accidents but more importantly met some good peeps on the forum and learnt loads about the E46. I think it's still got a few years in it yet, I just need to get my moneys worth from it now and drive it into the ground! holy shee-ite,6 k,ive had mine now for 26 months,only had two calipers,back plates,tyres(loads)front discs and pads,handbrake shoe kit,and thats about it not including brake bulbs and odds and sods,looks like your in long term with your car,but at least you know its been done,you could buy another one and spend the same,so good luck with her from now on. The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted January 9, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 9, 2016 Lol, thanks dude, most of the cost was before I knew how to do many jobs myself, ie someone else's labour, so I think I'm better off now Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
J15 CJY Posted January 24, 2016 Report Share Posted January 24, 2016 On 24 December 2015 at 12:24, The_Judge_ said: So, it's two weeks after getting all the suspension done and one week after full four wheel alignment. I went to Tyres 'R Us in Birmingham and I can't recommend them enough if they're local to you. The guy who did my car really knew his stuff, knew all about weighting and accounting for the intricacies of the E46 and they were perfectly ok letting me walk under the car when it was on the ramp. It's also the first time in ages someone didn't do the final adjustment until asking me to get in and straighten the steering wheel to what 'I' felt was "straight". All that and I only spent £25.00 + VAT. Anyway, it's purely psychological I'm sure as I'm not running on spacers or anything but the stance on my car looks much better, pics for attention really: Unsurprisingly, my tracking was way out: Hello is that tyres r us by the villa ground under a bridge??? If so then I use them all the time... The owner is sound and knows his bmw.. He told me I had the wrong tyres on my car and I phoned bmw dealer to confirm and he was right... Nice right up up on your car.. Just one recommendation... I would ditch your stereo and buy an aftermarket satnav DVD player.. Many different types of android ones on eBay. I recently bought a EONON for £240.. Plus it's canbus, so you can use your steering wheel buttons and phone. The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted January 28, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 28, 2016 Thanks, yup I have been looking at an Android unit Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted February 2, 2016 Author Report Share Posted February 2, 2016 Insurance company phoned me yesterday to tell me that actually I WAS at fault for the Peogeot which crashed into me in September, hey Ho. No claims still protected but anyway, the pace these things move at amazes me .... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
feva Posted February 3, 2016 Report Share Posted February 3, 2016 Mate if you think you aren't at fault stick to your guns. Your insurance company represent you and your interests. I had the same issue when I had a roundabout accident even with cctv showing me in the clear my insurance company said at the minimum 50/50 then said it was my fault. Told them I'll happily go to court. Don't settle of you do it'll go down as a fault claim so I'd take it court worst case if you lose it goes down as a fault claim. So you haven't lost anything. Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted February 5, 2016 Author Report Share Posted February 5, 2016 (edited) Quite a fun day today. Firstly, for those who don't know, Chunky899 from the zone was in an accident recently when a Gritter pulled out on him - he's got a back injury but ok otherwise. The car however looks to be a total write off, he's just waiting on Insurance to decide Anyway, he did decide to sell his paddles, steering wheel and bits and pieces, so I paid him a visit today at his lock-up and he put paddles into my life - jolly good fellow The drive home was great - it's so good being able to hold second and third that bit longer and just being a bit more in control - I miss driving a manual ... ! Using the Auto Gear stick to do it just isn't the same, this feels much better! I may paint these black soon, or go back to OEM levers, undecided ... The day didn't end there, I finally upgraded to double din: It's Generic Chinese Android unit - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=171819284381&view=all&tid=1501329540007 Pretty good so far, I got Route66, Waze, PowerAmp and few other apps up and running. The radio for some reason is not picking up any stations, I'll have to look into it, possibly I didn't push the aerial into the unit enough. I think I'll look into getting a 3G dongle as pairing with the iphone seems to be a bit hit and miss. Edited January 1, 2018 by The_Judge_ TriggerFish, feva and themaxx 3 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted February 6, 2016 Author Report Share Posted February 6, 2016 (edited) and then ... this happened today ....: https://youtu.be/ImbMFASwufc?t=2m38s Edited January 1, 2018 by The_Judge_ Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted February 6, 2016 Report Share Posted February 6, 2016 Good stuff Suf, for the first post that is. For f**k sake regarding the second! Not to much damage? And you're okay that's the main thing. Good stuff you have a Dashcam. 100% not your fault Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk The_Judge_ 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The_Judge_ Posted February 7, 2016 Author Report Share Posted February 7, 2016 (edited) Thanks Ashley, yeah totally not my fault and I actually have a lot of sympathy for the guy who went into the back of me. That idiot who crossed the road, what a tw*t, he didn't stick around, he had disappeared by the time we got out of our cars ..... No injurys' thank goodness I'm wondering if Black cars statistically get rear ended more often than others as its hard to make them out? According to the video there was 2 seconds between me braking and then getting rear ended .... Edited January 1, 2018 by The_Judge_ Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rasa Posted February 7, 2016 Report Share Posted February 7, 2016 6 hours ago, The_Judge_ said: Thanks Ashley, yeah totally not my fault and I actually have a lot of sympathy for the guy who went into the back of me. That idiot who crossed the road, what a tw*t, he didn't stick around, he had disappeared by the time we got out of our cars ..... No injurys' thank goodness I'm wondering if Black cars statistically get rear ended more often than others as its hard to make them out? According to the video there was 2 seconds between me braking and then getting rear ended .... driver behind was still at fault,simples,he was to close to you,if he had of been safe distance away from you,then he would ofn stopped safely,i would of been doing my nut,its my pet hate,drivers who get up my arse. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mjn Posted February 7, 2016 Report Share Posted February 7, 2016 Unlucky. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...