Elmo.91

Elmo's E46 Ci Track build thread.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to have a little look at the build up of my most recent project. Some of you may know me for those who don't I will introduce myself, My name is Elliot, im 22 and a Audi technician from south wales, I have been involved in a few race teams and builds over the last for years aswell as building my last car which was a track spec Honda civic. I have owned 3 e46's now and have a 320cd as my everyday car, Always wanted to build a E46 so here's my chance and im going to make the most of this chance i have, Hope you enjoy the build comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

So the build starts in a way that most don't, With a Japanese import 528i with 68,000 kms on the clock imported in 2009 aposlutly immaculate inside and out.

1536463_677160445670288_625087016_n.jpg

And as you do pull the engine out and scrap it, Engine is immaculate !! don't find them with this mileage anymore.

20140511_215649.jpg

So now for the shell im going to use, It was actually my first ever e46, A 2002 318ci, Loved the car to bits had a lot of sentimental value, The car was great in every way drove like new trough be told I always regretted selling it. My brother bought it off me and in turn knackered the engine because he just does that sort of thing to cars, so it was back in my hand which im very happy about.

IMG_5250811460425.jpeg

20140530_200920.jpg

20140530_202102.jpg

20140530_202157.jpg

The next part of the build may look a little messy but I will explain what's going on as I go through Mainly concentrating on the inside first then moving onto the engine from there But there will be some engine work as I go along, .

So striped most of the interior left the heater box in for now, removed all the sound deadening off the floors which has taken me the best part of around 8 hours but big weight saving.

20140531_155127.jpg

Dash was removed and iv modified it to remove the gear selector surround part, dash will be sent off for flocking as soon as I can.

20140601_171200.jpg

Test fitted.

20140601_190451.jpg

Had some parts for the fuel system through and couldn't help having a play with some dash fittings !! fuel system will be running the standard fuel tank. a Subaru wrx sti fuel pump for the lift pump, QSP 260 min pump, qsp swirl tank and a mixture of qsp and earls fixings. fuel lines will be mounted internally. Here's some of the bits.

20140601_180532.jpg

high pressure filter.

20140601_180606.jpg

260 pump and a little an6 line to get started.

th_20140601_180525.jpg

Rough positioning in boot, The boot will be partitioned off so will only be visible though the boot.

20140601_190405.jpg

I focused on getting the boot area and rear seat are prepped and painted First of all i will continue to work forward but i guess you have to start somewhere. removed all sound deadening and prepped for paint.

20140608_095741.jpg

Went for a satin black finish not a big fan of colourful interiors myself.

20140608_133152.jpg

20140608_115933.jpg

In the mean time more fuel bits turned up and i started piecing them together further. Bosch 044 to an6 adapter allowed me to join the pump to the pressure filter and some An8 line allowed me to connect the swirl tank to the main pump. Got to love the look of braided lines and dash fittings, Got an idea in my head of the way the lines will be layed out should look quite nice.

20140601_221415.jpg

20140607_135944.jpg

20140607_140004.jpg

20140608_152552.jpg

Heres the subaru pump i will be using as my in tank lift pump to swirl tank it will do fine for now.

20140607_140033.jpg

come home to a parcel which was the hydralic handbrake from obp motorsports with .625 cylinder.

20140607_081238.jpg

IMG_20140607_102050.jpg

So as far as the seats go i will be mounting them onto 45mm cds cage tubing if you have never seen this done all will be reviled soon. need to wait for my snap off hub adapter to turn up from America before i can work out where the seat is to be mounted.

Drivers seat will be a sparco circuit with a takata 4 paint harness.

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Edited by Elmo.91

IMG_3553.jpg

Passenger seat will be my old carbon recaro, stupidly light seat !!

20140601_190856_1.jpg

20140601_190843.jpg

starring wheel being used is a omp Corsica 330 with NRG snap off boss.

IMG_4337.jpg

Something a little fancy and personally the bit im mostly looking forward to seeing working is the peddle box. OBP box with .626 front, .7 rear and a .75 clutch cylinders. reservoir is a tilton 3way. Looks fantastic and should work very well once all set up. All brake lines will be copper and will be mounted internally.

AC2D9DCC-8796-416B-8A72-06E990CBED66-672

IMG_4343.jpg

As the 528i was an auto i needed a manual box, found a full conversion to a ZE 328 gear box so got my hands on it as quick as i could. Anyone who knows these boxes will know that they are good for big power this will come in handy at some point in this cars life hint hint. will be replacing the clutch not sure what for yet though.

20140608_093106.jpg

20140608_093127.jpg

Back to the engine, As the car will be completely re wired and different components relocated ( dme for example ) all the wiring was striped off the engine so i can start from scratch will just be easier this way trust me.

20140511_215606.jpg

20140511_215554.jpg

20140511_215623.jpg

Thats it for now progress should be flying on this over the next few weeks so i will keep the thread updated for those who want to follow the build. hope its kept you entertained and thanks for looking.

Awesome project - Didn't expect to see an e39 engine.
I understand the low mileage drew your attention to it - However is there any reason you're not using a more powerful engine?

Thanks very much, Yea not what you would expect but I had the car at a price that I couldn't refuse and to be honest its the engine I wanted to be using anyway so finding a low milage one was spot on, the engine will not be staying very standard for long.. the potential for power on these engines is huge hence the engine choice.

Wow!

This is awesome. I wish I had the skills and expertise to do something like this.

Lots of respect, I'm looking forward to progress!

Thanks guys always nice to have some good feed back its much appreciated, Going to have a weekend locked in the workshop so I will update as soon as I have any news.

Great work!

Nice to see an E46 track car build thread, you don't often see many on here. Seems like you really know your onions too when it comes to building the car for track setup.

Are you keeping the stock ECU or going aftermarket? Would be a shame to not go standalone considering the added benefits it gives and especially if your re-building the loom.

Haha cheers Pauly been playing with cars scince I remeber petrol head through and through. Also did my apprenticeship with bmw and was working towards senior level with them before moving to audi so know my bm's quite well... much better than this VAG rubbish.

Thanks very much not been very active on this forum but think its a real good mix of people on here so nice to know im bringing something a little diffrent to the mix. Been builing this car in my head for some time now so its just puting thoughta into csr set up now. My last car was a well blanced track car had alot of good times in it and tought me also I will put some picturs up of that when I get a chance.

Still not looked into standalone all that much at this moment in time, I wont have much of a choice when it comes to turbo set up so may just invest sooner rather than later. I have the e39 ecu I could wire in for the time beeing can always convert over to standalone from there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Wont you have issues with the E39 ECU though as it was programmed to an auto box, or are there ways round this?

I think (iirc) on the E36 M3's that had SMG which failed you had to put the ECU into mapping mode or something, dont know if its the same for the E46 or not...

I went for an Emerald on my E36 which i am planning/in the middle of supercharging. Cost about £1000 fitted, including the loom, but then required £500 of mapping on top.

Worth considering though.

As far as I am aware please dont quote me on this I still need to get onto isis and have a check though wiring diagrams to confirm but the e39 runs seperate control units one gearbox electronics and one dme ( engine electronics ) the two piggyback off each other and share infomation but as far as I am aware will run sepratly from each other, for example the gearbox will read engine rpm and other factors that will determine gear changing from the dme. The dme as far as I am aware does not directly need any infomation from the gearbox control unit to run and work. Dont take any of that for definate I still need tk sit down and confirm it all but there shouldnt be any issues that cannot be worked out and overcome worst comes to worst I will just have standalone .

Seams like a good price for a standalone management. What engine are you running it on, what modifications and what sort of power gains did you get from it after mapping ? Just curious to hear from someone who has tryed and tested it that all.

Its the M52B28 im running. Its been mapped NA at the moment as my charger blew up while on the base map. Its putting out 223bhp and 250ft lb of torque and has M50 manifold, BBTB, 36LB injectors and M3 exhaust except the manifold. Which i thought was pretty decent figures!

Hoping once the charger is complete i can get it up to around 300/320 bhp but with plenty of torque from low down in the revs.

You will definutly be seeing me at combe next year 100% combe and pembrey are my most local circuit's but going to try and travel around as much as I can.

Thats very good figures can imagine that pulles very well even as an na engine. Going to be a cracking engine!! supercharged Chances are I will have a very similar na set up as this for the first part of the build so I can get it on track and get the chassis set up and brakes spot get a bit of track time in and then get the engine built, got a feeling the engine is where most of the money will be spent in the end.

Thanks again for all the comments guys got a little update on parts ill get them up now.

Small update but it means I can get on with seat and peddle box positioning now that I know where the steering wheel is roughly going to sit. I already had the NRG quick release hub from my old car, The short hub I had for attaching it to the steering shaft was for a civic so obviously would not fir on the bmw splines, The though crossed my mind of cutting the splined section off a civic shaft and welding it back in the place of the bmw splines. I then found out that the NRG made an E46 short hub !! winner !!. could not find one for a sensible price in the uk so I ordered one direct from NRG in America instead.

20140611_205606.jpg

20140611_210149.jpg

Couldn't help going and trying it on ! Short hub fitted

20140611_214957.jpg

Boss locator bolted to that..

20140611_215332.jpg

And steering wheel all in place.

20140611_215430.jpg

20140611_215452.jpg

Has to be sead that this boss kit is the best quality bit of kit I have ever fitted or used, Not cheep but worth every penny in my opinion !!

Yes i do like that a lot. Its a missing getting in and out of mine with the wheel and boss fitted and i hadn't realised you could get a short quick release one, so might just have to do some googling!

Yea there are a few diffrent ones you can get but as for a bolt on good quality kit I couldn't recomended NRG more.

Elmo, looks like your in the same neck of the woods as me. I'm up in Abergavenny, where are you? If I can offer a hand just shout.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact using Tapatalk

Not a million miles away at all Daveo im down in swansea, not a long journey at all down to pembrey for me but your alot closer to combe than I am. Top man thank you very much :)

Got some work done on the partition to close off the boot from the rest of the car tonight but my phobe went and ran out of battery so I will update you all over the next few days.

Little bit of what I have been up too today quite a small part of the build but its taken me a little bit of time to make sure I get spot on, especially when sheet aluminium cost as much as it did want going to mess it up. So as the fuel system in the boot has to be separated from the cabin of the car I have had to make a partition between the two.

Template was made up for rough shape.

20140613_174541.jpg

Then to mark out and cut it out.... very carefully !

20140613_175938.jpg

20140613_204608.jpg

Seems as its been a nice day would have been rude not crack out the bbq...

20140613_192744.jpg

Cut and carefully trimmed and got the fit spot.

20140613_204608.jpg

20140613_205636.jpg

20140613_215836.jpg

To add a bit of support to the panel I reinforced the back, Not only do the rivets look pretty good it will come in handy soon, all will be revelled soon.

20140614_174313.jpg

20140614_174456.jpg

20140614_184751.jpg

That's it for now I have literally just ordered a small fortune in dash fuel fittings fuel system should be coming together pretty quickly.