Jump to content
Guest CollieRoddz

E46 timing chain issues? maybe.......

Recommended Posts

Guest CollieRoddz

Hi gents,

Having an issue with 2002 318i N42 engine. Massively disappointed because i've literally just bought it and its giving trouble already. Having done some reading around it turns out this VANOS, Valvetronic engine is s**t! Should've probably done the reading around before I bought it but anyway, I'm hoping you guys can help. My problem is as follows;

  • When idling, the revs drop below about 750 and the oil pressure light begins to flicker on/off
  • The engine appears to try to correct the issue by jumping the revs up so the idling becomes very erratic.
  • 1st and second gears are very clunky with the car moving very heavy and jumpy when taking off but is OK once moving.
  • Once out on the motorway there are not problems, smooth as and drives nice.
  • I brought it to a local BMW specialist and he plugged in the diagnostic machine which said cam shaft position sensor fault.
  • He replaced the sensor and took the car for a spin and he said the problem was still there.
  • He reckons the timing chain is slipping and the tensioner needs replacing, the guides too perhaps.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone? Am I getting into a world of pain and money spending? I'm beginning the think as soon as I get it sorted I should get rid of it. This is my 3rd BMW and I've never had trouble, always look after my cars so feeling very dispondant about it, need some reassurance guys!

The car just did its MOT too which shows how s**t that is too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was getting camshaft sensor warning coming up on mine and the specialist said it was the timing chains and will cost about £800 to fit new ones, a local garage swapped over the two sensors (camshaft inlet and exhaust sensor) to see how it run and fingers crossed havnt had any problems or eml light refering back to the sensor. I was also getting a terrible idle problem upto this point, I also give my maf a cleaning when I serviced it. Just try changing out the cam sensors and see how you go.

Edited by Desert_Cloak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had this issue too. I had a new timing chain and a new tensioner, also had a ton of work done on the engine by BMW themselves. Took around 6 weeks of continuous backwards and forwards with the garage, but they paid for all the work to be done and touch wood it's as sweet as a nut now. No issues. Not sure what to suggest, but does sound similar to mine as in the timing chain issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest CollieRoddz

Thanks for the response guys.

Desert cloak, did you change the timing chain or just the sensors?

Andy 88, did you buy yours from a BMW garage? I bought mine from an independant garage and got a 3 month warranty, hoping they will cover the cost of everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What mileage is it mate?

There is a list of things that trouble these engines, I've spent 3 years chasing them out.

You lot have basicly found the biggest, being the chains, guides and tensioner. The tensioner was a revised item by bmw, because the old 1 would go slack prematurely and let the chain jump. The timing would be out and the engine would run like a bag of nails.

Now these engines need to be looked after well, regular oil changes are a must.

They do have a tendency to sweat oil, gaskets such as the rocker cover, vacuum pump, oil filter housing, oil cap and the solenoids are the usually suspects.

Another thing to look at is the breather pot, if this is blocked or gets blocked (which it does easily) causes a build up of pressure in the engine. The part is like £40 but the inlet manifold does need to be removed to change it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest CollieRoddz

Thanks for the info guys.

Recent update is as follows;

Replaced cam shaft position sensor and it made no difference. Mechanic kept the car in for a few days and he did the timing chain tensioner and guides. Apparently the sensor error is a common indication of the timing chain tension being out. So, £400 later the timing tension is "perfect" but the car is still wobbling and lumping when idling. Its not as bad as it was but still feels like its about to sneeze.

Not sure what to do to be honest. Any advice lads? The company have offered to give me my money back. I'm tempted to jump ship?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get the valve timing checked the tensioner breaks up, the chain goes slack and jumps on the camshaft sprockets resulting in a rough running engine and lack of power. This happened to my brothers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm half thinking about getting this sorted and trying to trade for a 325 M54.

M52tu 2.8

Same sort of power, same insurance, same fuel economy, but you save money on oil because it never uses any.

Saying that, the last year I had a a3 slam into my front end, replaced the whole cooling system, m sport bumper, a wing, m3 bonnet and slam panel, and tonight, some dozy bint came round a corner, crossed the white line, ripped my m3 rear bumper off and smashed the f**k out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had the timing chain replaced recently on our compact (N42) as the chain had stretched.

Was quite costly..also had all ignition coils replaced, as 2 were showing faults, so just

replaced all of them.

Check to see if this might be a culprit, very common issue on these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...