govich

330Ci ... gone :(

45 minutes ago, avalaugh said:

No issues with those readings Hawk [emoji106] way under the required level for a pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy selling the same supercharger kit as both of yours but for a 325 for £2500 on facebook. Grrrrrrrrr i want i want, bloody house!!!

Edited by R11CH

Do it Rich!! Sell your least useful limb :lol:

The lambda reads fine so the mixtures are OK, 108 ppm HC will probably be because it's under more load turning the charger. I didn't have it cleaned, will do when I can sort the CCV, at the moment it puts a lot of oil into the intake.

Cheers Hawk, I am planning to have a chat with ESS, they've indulged me before & the map is definitely for 97 RON, they asked for that info up front. I also have their 95 RON map. Just need to check that the AFRs are as intended. I feel safer having it that rich on a hot day without a cooler anyway

1 hour ago, avalaugh said:

No issues with those readings Hawk [emoji106] way under the required level for a pass

My bad, I should've quoted the post from where it was running rich at the rolling road day 😀

On 03/05/2017 at 17:59, govich said:

HC (limit 200 ppm): 1 ppm before SC, 69 ppm SC with cats, 54 ppm SC with deleted primaries & new Klarius underfloor cats

I had the HC measurement down wrong, updated to 54 ppm in the original post. In summary, deleting the primaries & replacing the underfloor cats increased power across the rev range & improved emissions :DB)

7 minutes ago, govich said:

I had the HC measurement down wrong, updated to 54 ppm in the original post. In summary, deleting the primaries & replacing the underfloor cats increased power across the rev range & improved emissions :DB)

Great news! 

Are you going to keep the OEM CCV setup and just replace components or are you going down the catch can route?

On 09/05/2017 at 10:45, RMJ said:

Great news! 

Are you going to keep the OEM CCV setup and just replace components or are you going down the catch can route?

Not sure at this stage, if I refresh the OEM system it'll foul up again quickly with the increased flow so that doesn't seem like the answer. Removing it fully and just using a catch can linked to the cam cover is tempting but the engine wants a slight vacuum in the crankcase to prevent oil past the rings which is more tricky with a boosted setup since the vacuum source changes on/off throttle. I want to have a look at the N54 engines, just haven't had the time

These guys are already on it and can make my life easier if they start selling! https://www.germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/ccv_products/m54_gas_ccv/product_m54_ccv.php

I understand, no point wasting money and its an opportunity to improve. Something I use for my breather system is a Mann Provent filter. It acts as a CCV and filters the air with a serviceable filter.

Cylinder head pipe to Provent and then from Provent to intake pipe before the turbo.

It has dramatically reduced any intercooler pipe "oil lining". May be a solution for you? 

Here are my thoughts, if anyone sees anything wrong with the logic please point it out!

The factory system takes air from the valve cover and crankcase, has a pressure valve and separator, and returns to the intake manifold through the 'air distribution block' on the top of the engine. It looks like this (nicked from google image search):

Photo8.jpg

The ESS kit I have blocks off the connections to the intake manifold and replaces them with a connection to the charger inlet. My worry with that is under cruise conditions when the throttle is mostly closed, the CCV now sees the atmospheric pressure at the charger inlet whereas previously it would have seen a big vacuum from the intake manifold on the standard engine. When under full throttle, the CCV sees a big vacuum at the charger inlet instead of near atmospheric pressure it would see on the standard engine.

That condition of the factory CCV seeing a big vacuum under WOT & also increased blowby under boost is what I think drives the huge oil carryover. That's on top of the known flakiness of the standard components

When the hose at the dipstick is blocked off with some of the 'CCV delete' kits around for the M54, a draw path from the crankcase is deleted & my worry is that affects the oil control in the cylinder by the rings.

My thought at the moment is to look at other boosted engines (esp N54); example nicked from the Subaru forums:

StockUnderVacuum.gifStockunderboost.jpg

Main things; the crankcase & valve cover vents are piped separately to the charger intake, crankcase is also vented to the manifold via PCV, manifold drives CCV under vacuum & charger inlet drives CCV under boost

Hope that makes some kind of sense! One thing I still need to figure out is whether there is another link between the valve cover and the crankcase (aside from internal), or the hose to the oil dipstick is both the oil return and a crankcase vent. Realoem calls it a vent so probably the latter.

Edited by govich

A bit of an update regarding CCV, from research the lower dipstick connection is really a return hose only (Bentley service manual calls it that), there isn't much area for breathing at all so blocking it off should be OK. Still theorising over the vacuum source to drive the CCV based on my previous post. The N54 engine proved to be a bad reference, their valve cover integrated CCV has about as many problems as this one.

The exhaust leak was fixed for a while after fitting new gaskets but has come back, I suspect the flange has warped when the link piece (M52 headers to standard underfloor system) was welded together, so needs taking off & machining flat again. I'll get around to it..

Cheers

Edited by govich

So I've managed to get hold of a used M56 SULEV valve cover with the integrated CCV that mounts straight onto the M54 head, cheaply off eBay US and through a mate of mine that lives in the US. Pretty chuffed as I'll get it for about the cost of refreshing the existing CCV with new M54 parts, plus a bit for a new CCV diaphragm, cover gasket & oil cap.

Thinking I'll take it apart, clean & have it powder coated black before fitting. That should sort the oil carryover & clean up the engine bay.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by govich

So I've managed to get hold of a used M56 SULEV valve cover with the integrated CCV that mounts straight onto the M54 head, cheaply off eBay US and through a mate of mine that lives in the US. Pretty chuffed as I'll get it for about the cost of refreshing the existing CCV with new M54 parts, plus a bit for a new CCV diaphragm, cover gasket & oil cap.

Thinking I'll take it apart, clean & have it powder coated black before fitting. That should sort the oil carryover & clean up the engine bay.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice one, keep us posted, and if any others come up [emoji106]

Hello mate, still gathering the parts, I've been flat out at work. Looking at that image makes me think it definitely needs a black powder coat.

All I've done on this car recently is flashed the software on the Erisin head unit (much faster now) & replaced a tail light unit which had a few LEDs out.

Sorry to see the car up forsale, im sure it will go to a good home though as its a clean and quick example!

Did you ever fit that M56 cover? Be interested if you still have it.

14 hours ago, R11CH said:

Sorry to see the car up forsale, im sure it will go to a good home though as its a clean and quick example!

Did you ever fit that M56 cover? Be interested if you still have it.

Ping me a PM Rich, I might be able to help you with this.

On 7/24/2018 at 22:22, govich said:

I've come to the end of my supercharged E46 journey, moving back to Australia soon so I've cleaned this up and it's now for sale -_-

Good Luck with the Sale mate

Nice looking car, great spec and a real sleeper.

You should have shipped it back to Oz'!

Goran - a question for you if you're still looking in?  

My 330Ci Auto has (according to Bokchoy - http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm) a Final Drive of 3.38

Having done about 600 motorway miles last week I had plenty of time to think what the car will be like with a Supercharger.

I'm planning to add an LSD, but I might just change the Diff to one from a 325, with an FD of 3.15.  At 80 mph (real/not speedo) this would give an engine speed of 2500, compared to nearer 3000.

Anyone tried this - anyone got any comments?