negev

Warming her up in the morning

Shame the e46 didn't come with a Webasto heater as an option as per the 5 and 7 series. Just press a button on the remote as soon as you wake up and by the time you get out to your car the engine block is warm and misty screens aren't a problem.

It was an option, just not in this country. Retrofitable though :)

Ian.

Do what I do get one of those moisture absorbing bag/pack. I got one which I lay on the dash for the winter to help absorb the damp.

Can get them on eBay or amazon think its called Thor Mar or something along that line.

I had a celica GT4 once which had a clifford alarm with remote start. In the winter I used to start the car from my bed so when I went out it was nice & warm with no ice in the windows. I loved it, but I don't think my neighbours were as keen - she had a straight through stainless exhaust and headers so was rather loud!

To be honest, it's not like we're running highly-stressed, highly-tuned engines here. If you're servicing on-schedule (or more regularly), changing your warm-up routine probably makes very little difference to longevity, unless you're thrashing the pants off it. Certainly, you're unlikely to notice the difference from something as marginal as holding it a few hundred rpm above idle.

I know when I ran heavily-modified turbo engines, they (probably) benefited from a specific method of warming-up the oil. However, I just can't see the value in worrying so much about a mass-produced, standard-spec engine (and a bloody good one at that).

Get in it, drive it gently, and let it rev a little more as it warms up.

One thing that's worth bearing in mind is that the water gauge (which is a quick mover) is no indicator of whether the oil is warm enough for you to get away with giving the engine some stick. I would typically wait another 2-5mins from the point that the water needle hits the middle before I rev much past 3-4k.

Edited by Dave330

Shame the e46 didn't come with a Webasto heater as an option as per the 5 and 7 series. Just press a button on the remote as soon as you wake up and by the time you get out to your car the engine block is warm and misty screens aren't a problem.

Ian.

Probably less effort to set the car on fire though lol

Ian.

Probably less effort to set the car on fire though lol

It's not the easiest job I've ever done, but it went in quite nicely.

Ian.