Markos_46

330D Lacking Boost & No Kick Down

Im new to BMW diesel engines but bought a nice clean early 330D touring at the weekend via ebay - lots of history with the car and drives Ok but is seriously lacking in the boost dept and has no ooomph when you put your foot down using the kick down on the auto box.

Before it goes to the garage - any ideas on what to look for?  I cant really hear the turbo spinning but I can hear a sort of whistling sound like a vaccum pipe leaking somewhere - doesnt really feel like it has a turbo on it but got the car cheap enough so cant complain too much.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

sounds like boost leak,or maybe failing maf sensor,easy checks first,worst case turbo seals,check for oil mist deposits and or oil leaks also,get a good strong lamp and take engine covers off,

Edited by rasa

Quick update if anyone cares ha ha - changed all the vaccum pipes which had all seen better days, de-swirl flapped etc etc put it all back together, still no boost but looks like its the turbo actuator - if you manually operate the actuator, turbo spools up nicely - let go of the actuator and rev, no boost.

Its an early vaccum operated type so on the hunt for 1 of these - if anyone can point me in the direction of someone or somewhere I'd appreciate it.

Changed the turbo pressure regulator and still nothing, still have a 1E30 error showing (1E30 Boost Pressure Regulation or Actuator)

The actuator arm moves freely & tested the diaphram with a minivac - took the car for a spin with the minivac attatched to hold the actuator in place for boost and the car flew so no problems with the turbo, the actuator or the turbo pressure regulator or the vaccum pipes - problems looking to be what controls the turbo pressure regulator now - I've read about 2 charge pressure actuators?  Any info on these?