robocoupe

Copperslip - Yay or Nay

I am replacing my discs and pads at the weekend and have always used copper grease in the past, however, when picking up my parts the guy in ECP suggested against using it when fitting.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't believe a salesman buddy, applying Cooper grease is industry best practice besides unless you want your calipers to seize up or have a mare when your next changing the pads &/or discs.

Yeah,that's what I always thought,the guy reckons it heats up and causes brake sensor issues. Having never replaced pads on an E46 before I just wasn't sure.

If thats what he told you then he is technically talking a load of s**t. The brake sensors are a sealed unit and would not be affected in the slightest. You should contact his line manager and tell him to stop spreadind misleading and incorrect information. There is a duty of care that people are not mis-sold or mislead when purchasing products.

If you apply too much cooper grease you can run a risk of latent heat being conducted from the caliper onto the rotors, this could result in brake fade when the discs are at high temp.

On my next pad change I will be using brake pad adhesive because the EPC yellow stuff pad retaining clips are crap and always break therefore I have to suffer the annoying sound of the pads rattling around.

This website has some useful info, lets just say unless a new brake system is rolled out I will continue to use appropriate amounts of cooper grease.

http://www.copper-grease.com/

Handy little site Fishman, thanks :thumbsup:

My pleasure buddy the more correct and valid knowledge we share the better it is for everybody here! :cheers:

Another disappointing thread... clicked on this expecting a YouTube video of a policeman falling :lol:

Another disappointing thread... clicked on this expecting a YouTube video of a policeman falling :lol:

haha i didnt get it at first but know Ive got ya! :thumbup: nice 1!

Edited by Fishman68

Hello. Iv got to do my rear pads soon. Iv bought them but cant get copperslip anywhere.

Popped into a few of the local motor factors and they have´nt got a clue what im on about

The Spainish garages dont seem to use anything?

The Brit garages do but wont part with any. I´v even offer 10e for a thimble full but no-way.

I done them on my scooter front and back with no squeel.

Biggest problem here is not rain but dust and general road garbage.

I´v Google no copperslip and it´s a bit of yes and no.

So what do you think? Is there anything else I can use or should I just fit. *Sensor is on.*

thanks in advance Paul