TriggerFish

Joe's 330d - hark the death knell!

No, I don't have a high enough position in society to purchase such a legend... It's not been there the past few times I've gone past recently :( Last time I saw it, it was sporting red trim pieces too. Looked... shall we say, not to my tastes.

I'm impressed with how much nicer the 204 engine is to the 184 engine. Much smoother and more refined. Or mine was crapped out totally!

Great stuff! get some pics of it up mate! 

I found the 204 to feel more refined that the 184 too so not just you (although your engine really was on its last legs!)

let me know about the headlights bud :D 

14 hours ago, TriggerFish said:

A replacement has been sourced. :)

Facelift imola red 330d 204bhp saloon with HK, bi-xenons, leather (booo!) and a sunroof. Comes with style 216s, lows, a map, and chuckle inducing exhaust. I was a bit wary getting a modded car, but it's seemingly sound. All the mods are reversible with parts off my old one anyway, but apart from swapping the leather for my fabric seats, and selling on the 216s and going back to my 17s, I doubt I'll change it.

Sounds lovely!

Well, it's made it to my lock up (under its own steam, amazingly), ready to be stripped down. Feels very real that it's dead now. Which makes me genuinely sad. I get very attached to things, and have had so many good memories in this thing. At over 4 years, it's the longest I've kept a car too. That, and the fact it's been replaced with another must be a testament to something!

Oh well. I'll find something to keep as a momento. (I'm thinking front windscreen - easy to hang in a garage, and has some foriegn motorway passes still)

20161019_203832.jpg

Facebook also reminded me that it was a year ago today that i had the i3 for a 3 day test drive, so the car lasted slightly under a year longer than expected

Edited by TriggerFish

A crappy photo, but the replacement is home. 

Time to swap the thermostat (and new rad and tank from my old car) along with removal of the vile carbon cube, and then it's ready to tax and drive. The drive home made me remember what it is I love about the e46! 😃

20161020_205808.jpg

The look isn't my cup of tea - black trim on a black dash with black seats, black carpet and black headlining?

Most of all though, it's the texture - I hate the way it feels!

26 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

The look isn't my cup of tea - black trim on a black dash with black seats, black carpet and black headlining?

Most of all though, it's the texture - I hate the way it feels!

Ha ha, i loved all the black in mine!

Looks nice mate! I love the 216 motorsport wheels! they fetch strong money! was looking for a set for my touring.

The windscreen idea I think is spot on :) you should keep the gear-knob or something too

It was the car off eBay, yes :) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=97f2500ada8d40b2b82526c6a1b61c6a&bu=44211213996&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Flink%2F%3Fnav%3Ditem.view%26id%3D162218079773%26alt%3Dweb%26globalID%3DEBAY-GB%26referrer%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252Fe11051.m43.l1123%252F7%253Feuid%253D97f2500ada8d40b2b82526c6a1b61c6a%2526bu%253D44211213996%2526cp%253D1%2526sojTags%253Dbu%253Dbu

The style 216s (seemingly unmarked - Continentals up front and new Events (boo) on the rear) will be for sale shortly too if anyone's interested - as soon as I've had a chance to refurb my style 68s off the old car. I prefer 17s, and I can recoup some of the outlay back into the house deposit fund that way (one of the things that drew me to the car - the bits I could sell on if I wanted - like the exhaust etc.). Or maybe look at buying a set of 17" style 32s as it's had an arch roll, and these fit at et3* with 255s on...

Bi-xenons, HK (sounds very good with one of the andriod-style units driving it - compared to stock e46 anyway!) and sunroof.

It's lowered on apex coilovers. I prefer the design/feature set of my old HSDs, but I suspect the quality of the apex units is better as they offer fewer features at a similar price (I'm assuming that = quality, and not profit margins!) Needs raising at the back though, as reverse rack ftl!

Looked a great spec mate, really clean and tasteful mods.

whats the ride like on the Apex coilovers? damping uprated by 30% sounds like a comfortable amount.

Dont forget about your old headlights ;) and maybe the 216's depending upon price....

I've not gone far on them yet - only about 20-30 minutes on the test drive, and about 50 minutes home - but they're firm, and a bit bouncy, but not crashy and/or harsh. I'd say (although it's been about a year since I had them on the car), that they're a nicer ride than the HSDs - they were a lot harsher. I'm seeing the car that had my old HSDs tomorrow as I sold them to a friend, so I'll hopefully be able to draw a good comparison after having had a lift in it. 

If you take the headlights and/or wheels, you're welcome to a spin in it to see the ride for yourself. :) I'll price up the wheels once I've finished needing them. Last thing I want to do is work out a price and then curb them or something! The headlights, a friend had expressed an interest a while ago - which I'd forgotten until I saw him last weekend. I'll work out their value, put it to him and let you know either way. 

I do have another set of headlights retrofitted with aftermarket projectors somewhere. They're not as good as OEM ones though, but I should probably dig those out and try and clear up the garage space they're occupying while I#m in a selling mood...

Thank you mate, that is really helpful, I've had HSD's on other cars and never had a problem with them but always noted they can be quite harsh.

I'm looking for something more progressive and lighter on the roads if you know what I mean, its for my touring which gets a good pacing at times and will most certainly get put on the track in the new year :)

Good idea with the wheels! better wait until your ready to let them go and then asses their condition then. In the mean time let me know which headlights are available! I am looking at sets now but if yours are available to me id rather drive up and put the cash in your hand than an online supplier etc!. plus i could get a good judgment on the ride with your APEX coilys :D 

Yeah, I know what you mean - it's hard to describe suspension isn't it?! I think the Apex's will suit that bill, but I'd like to take them down the crappy back roads I use to take to work before saying for sure.

I'm PM you about the headlights - the other bonus is that I can code the car so that it can run the xenons properly without strobing. :)