phillio35

estoril blue touring 330d individual gearbox failure

was on my way to have my gearbox serviced today 5 mins from the place warning light comes on next to d goes into limp mode slow pulls up to garage then no reverse guy then tells me gearbox is f......d im gutted was going on hols next sat now he says for new box 1850 fitted +vat can anyone tell me if this is a good price he says its a gm box and there poo gona build a z one or somthin to that degree wasnt thinking straight when he told me .

I paid £1800 inc vat,

But I found out if your new Solihull west mids a place called trans tech can do it for allot cheaper, as there the ones who ended up doing it and the garage I took it to just ripped me off ;-(

Edited by bachu

I paid £1800 inc vat,

But I found out if your new Solihull west mids a place called trans tech can do it for allot cheaper, as there the ones who ended up doing it and the garage I took it to just ripped me off ;-(

cheers mate but im in essex how long did it take

I had mine done at Express Gearbox in Portsmouth, at the time it cost me £1200 and took about 3 days as I also lost my reverse gear. They redone the whole gearbox for me and replaced my torque converter. To date since the refurb/repair I have done 70k miles on it and still no issues.

Here's their contact details, no harm in ringing for a quote.

Express Gearbox Company Limited
Dundas Spur, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO3 5NX

Telephone:

023 9265 0502

Fax:

023 9265 0503

Email:

express@expressgearbox.co.uk

Company Registration Number:

Company VAT Number:

I had mine done at Express Gearbox in Portsmouth, at the time it cost me £1200 and took about 3 days as I also lost my reverse gear. They redone the whole gearbox for me and replaced my torque converter. To date since the refurb/repair I have done 70k miles on it and still no issues.

Here's their contact details, no harm in ringing for a quote.

Express Gearbox Company Limited

Dundas Spur, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO3 5NX

Telephone:

023 9265 0502

Fax:

023 9265 0503

Email:

express@expressgearbox.co.uk

Company Registration Number:

Company VAT Number:

cheers mate will do

Mine died on Saturday - e46 330ci. Keeps going into limp mode with a symptom gear check error. Seems to work in steptronic mode for a few miles before throwing up a yellow cog.

Gonna take it to driver transmissions in Birmingham tomorrow afternoon to see what they think.

Wish I stuck to my guns and bought a manual now lol

Mine died on Saturday - e46 330ci. Keeps going into limp mode with a symptom gear check error. Seems to work in steptronic mode for a few miles before throwing up a yellow cog.

Gonna take it to driver transmissions in Birmingham tomorrow afternoon to see what they think.

Wish I stuck to my guns and bought a manual now lol

What sort of mileage have you done on the gearbox?

hope you get it sorted mate i never had a clue that these gm boxes were such a pain the guy that did mine said these boxes are used in few other makes of cars range rover and others did say that bmw had lots of warranty claims on these boxes at the start

According to Wikipedia the GM 5L40E auto 'box is rated at 3.6ltr/250lb-ft/1800kg GVW. If this info is correct, in an E46 330d it's right on the limit of its capabilities (or beyond it on the torque rating - even as standard).

According to Wikipedia the GM 5L40E auto 'box is rated at 3.6ltr/250lb-ft/1800kg GVW. If this info is correct, in an E46 330d it's right on the limit of its capabilities (or beyond it on the torque rating - even as standard).

I was told it was rated to ~300lb/ft which is basically standard 330d output, mapped cars (like my first one was) push it way over the limit, it had the oil & filter done ~90k miles though and the box was lovely & smooth, it's the torque convertor that sh1ts itself though