Pauly123 Posted May 9, 2014 Report Share Posted May 9, 2014 (edited) It makes a hell of a lot of sense when you break it down like that! 1000 min spend is probably fair enough Edited May 9, 2014 by Pauly123 JasonK 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StuBeeDoo Posted May 9, 2014 Report Share Posted May 9, 2014 I've just fitted a full set of part-worn Conti CSC2 SSRs (runflats) purely because they came attached to a nearly mint set of Style 157s. Bugger me! Are those tyres ever noisy?? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted May 9, 2014 Report Share Posted May 9, 2014 And uncomfortable! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StuBeeDoo Posted May 9, 2014 Report Share Posted May 9, 2014 And uncomfortable! I don't think they're that bad, actually, Joe. Mind, they're 17s.................. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted May 9, 2014 Report Share Posted May 9, 2014 Mine were 17 run flats. We're worse than my normal 18s. Horrid things they were. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
broonster Posted May 10, 2014 Report Share Posted May 10, 2014 I put a brand new set of Vreds on my M3 when i got the wheels refurbed,they,re great tyres,really quiet,good in the wet and dry and the wear rate is good as well. I just got Cooper CS Sport for my 330 and the,ve been great so far as well,no road noise at all and slighly cheaper than the Vreds Steve Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Quiksilver_TR Posted May 21, 2014 Report Share Posted May 21, 2014 My Tyre Review - Falken 452 to Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta I run 225/40/18 all round, even though I have staggered wheels (8J front and 8.5J rear which should mean the tyres should be 225/40 fronts and 255/35 rears), so I have a little stretch on the rears to clear the arch lip due to running 20mm spacers. The 452s gave plenty of grip in the wet or dry. all 4 tyres completed 16262 miles before I changed them. The rears wore pretty evenly considering the stretch, probably 0.5mm more worn in the middle than the outside edges. Another couple of PSI would solve that. The front didnt wear as well but thats due to the lowering, the inside edges were bald (no tread pattern whatsoever) whilst the outside had 3.5-4mm tread left. This wear is due to the camber induced when lowering without adjustable topmounts. Im not overly bothered by this as its not a reflection of the tyre its a reflection of the cars setup. The 452s filled you with confidence both in the dry and wet, and allowed you to push on and feel what the wheels/grip and car were doing. They are a firm tyre, which added to the harsh ride, it also added to the road noise at both low and high speeds. I would buy the 452s again. Now for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta: Only been on the car for 24hours so ive barely scrubbed the release agents off but so far Im impressed with them. They offer the same if not more dry grip (not tried them in the rain yet) as the 452s. The sessanta seem to be softer than the 452s, which might make them wear quicker.....only time will tell, but this "softness" means that at lower speeds they are almost silent and at higher speeds the road noise is greatly reduced (ive had to turn the radio down a click as its was too loud on my drive to work this morning). Also this "softness" seems to have made the ride less harsh. Tread pattern is uber sexy! Worth evey penny of the £77 each just for that view under the rear bumper Fingers crossed they offer a similar mileage to the 452s Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pauly123 Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 77 pound each ? Where from Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sparxxx Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 (edited) I made a big mistake in letting the wife sort 2 new fronts today, MOT day! I sent her to the local fitter, who I always use and fully respect. She returns with two, new EVENT WL905s fitted. I've only driven about 20 miles on them, first 10 in the dry, then it rained. ARRRRGGGGGGG!!! I HATE them! In the dry, average. Reasonably quiet, feed back OK, grip not bad (not pushed though). In the wet, USELESS!!! They feel like they're made from plastic, not rubber. Cost £170 for both fitted. I am gonna call the shop tomorrow and ask if I can swap them. I could have had two Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (my choice if given one) for £200! I did learn a valuable lesson today though, NEVER, EVER let your mrs make a decision regarding motoring! So, my review... Event WL905 225/40 R18 Front - Dry - Grip 60% Feed Back 65% Wet - Grip 20% Feed Back 10% Event WL905 - Never again! Edited May 23, 2014 by Sparxxx Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rebel Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 Wow, that was quite an unfortunate event Sparxxx 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chimp Choker Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 I did learn a valuable lesson today though, NEVER, EVER let your mrs make a decision regarding motoring! And the £30 difference will have been spent on crap for the house like big letters that go on the mantle piece to make words like love or life WTF www.bobsbmw.co.uk L4nky808, StuBeeDoo, LAURENCE 1 and 2 others 5 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sparxxx Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 She actually bought a sign "Lifes too short do drink cheap wine"! The bloody nerve!!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
L4nky808 Posted May 23, 2014 Report Share Posted May 23, 2014 (edited) I'm prepared to get flamed on this one - but I have always bought budgets and I have never lost control, come close to not stopping, or had a wet pant moment on them. I actually had a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's once (following a tire thread like this) and although they were superb in the dry they were absolutely SHOCKING in the rain, and far worst than any budget tire I had ever used. I vowed at that point I would never waste money on brand name tires again. Don't get me wrong, if I was planning to track my car it would be another matter! But I don't, and no amount of performance rubber will make up for the difference between a bad driver and and a good one. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Edited May 23, 2014 by L4nky808 BmEagle 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
feva Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 My eagle f1's held like glue in the wet so not sure why yours didn't (they have a very good wet grip rating as well) I'm the opposite I've had budget ditch finders and swore never again. www.bobsbmw.co.uk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
DonB Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 Yeah agreed with the above, had some HP106 or some rubbish on an E36 years ago and they ruined the ride of the car, noisy and used to under steer like crazy....much like the Bridgestone RE050A I had on my E46 when I first bought it Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daz 330 Cs Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 You let your Mrs go to get tyres fitted ? Wtf were you thinking ? It's highly unlikely they'll have your 2nd hand tyres back but no harm in trying. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
B0B Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 20 miles isn't long enough to scrub off the slippery mould release compound. You may find they are a completely different tyre after the next 100 miles or so. I am a Vred Ultrac Sessanta convert here, a brilliant tyre in all weathers and a very reasonable price too. StuBeeDoo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LAURENCE 1 Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 I am new running vred vortis 255 35 18 on the back and they replacing a set of falkens. Great grip in the dry and wet and so quiet and comfy, however when I put my old tyre next to my new tyre the vreds were a good 2cm wider than the falkens even though they were the same size...........look like 275s when fitted so extra grip! I do push the car wet or dry so every bit helps, just need some for the fronts now. Vreds are definitely worth the money StuBeeDoo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
L4nky808 Posted May 24, 2014 Report Share Posted May 24, 2014 My eagle f1's held like glue in the wet so not sure why yours didn't (they have a very good wet grip rating as well) I'm the opposite I've had budget ditch finders and swore never again. www.bobsbmw.co.uk I had them back in 2005 on a Mazda 323gt - there was just something about their characteristics that I didn't like. I retract my previous statement though - they aren't shocking in the wet, they just didnt suit my particular driving style. Could possibly explain why I like budgets so much - I've always had them, so I know there handling characteristics and I know my limits on them (have mainly had FWD so I like to push hard, wait for that slight slip of understeer, and counter with lift off oversteer which a less grippy tire is perfect for). Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freshcreps Posted June 17, 2014 Report Share Posted June 17, 2014 Anyone had any experience with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's? Have seen a set come up cheapish and seem to have good reviews but I kinda like the sound of the Vredstein Ultrac's although they are more pricey. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Quiksilver_TR Posted June 17, 2014 Report Share Posted June 17, 2014 77 pound each ? Where from Sorry just seen this reply. They were off Camskill at that price. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gersandy Posted July 8, 2014 Report Share Posted July 8, 2014 Yokohama AE01 Blue Earth Size: 205 50 16 (rears) Cost: £60 each Miles: 8000 so far and still about 3mm left Very good tyres, very quiet on a run. Good wet grip unless our over enthusiastic in a bend. Seem to be wearing out at a reasonable pace. In the dry they grip very well. Might just be me but I have seen a very slight increase in mpg using them as Im meticulous over tyre pressure Buy again: Yes I would, good value for money Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
PeterH Posted July 21, 2014 Report Share Posted July 21, 2014 Can someone (a mod) please clear this motherf**king topic up please! Thanks! momo, Dr T and DJ Syxx 3 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted July 25, 2014 Report Share Posted July 25, 2014 I actually had a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's once (following a tire thread like this) and although they were superb in the dry they were absolutely SHOCKING in the rain, and far worst than any budget tire I had ever used. I vowed at that point I would never waste money on brand name tires again. This does surprise me... I've had various models of Goodyear Eagle F1's over the years, on various cars and found them to always be superb, with wet weather being their strong point and I run F1 Assymetric 2's on my M5, which has 400bhp Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted July 25, 2014 Report Share Posted July 25, 2014 Anyone had any experience with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's? Have seen a set come up cheapish and seem to have good reviews but I kinda like the sound of the Vredstein Ultrac's although they are more pricey. They came all round on my M5, they are a soft sidewall, so the car felt less direct and they were only average in the wet Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...