RickyZ

What Wheels are left

are those figures Jay's mentioned really correct Ricky, 9k for the car and around 4k in mods. how long ago did you buy it and what sort of mileage has it done now? not that it really matters as you're not selling but depreciation makes me cry :cry:

and back on topic, you're keeping you tyres, what sizes are they?

Not exactly, the car prob owes me in the region of 10K in total but I could get prob 5-6K back if I made it standard and sold it and the parts, so I have lost 4K but I'm not selling it so I dont care lol

Ideally yes, fronts are 235/35/19 rears are 245/35/19 (rears would need to go in time, prob for 265/30/19)

Edited by Trickster

Per mits response £600 is going to get you f**k all.

I know you don't like the Style 313's i mention but try and find a set of genuine 19's for anything less than £1500, without tyres!

Edit : Balls to all this talk of depreciation. I paid £15k for mine, spent stupid amounts on mods, and sold it 3yrs later for £5k with all the mods attached! So probably lost close to £12k. ]

E36 M3's rock FTW :thumbup:

Edited by simonlpearce

given the budget i'd come back to getting a set of fronts to match your current set and put them on the rears. this square set = fail and love of a staggered set up is irrational, you dont need 265 tyres to handle 230bhp. but its even more crazy when you're running as near as makes no difference a square tyre set up. only 10mm difference between fronts and rears.

wow i actually like those m6 ones, but i think thats more down to the stance, plus they need stretch to fit like that and Ricky is trying to get away from that.

Edited by Dr T

Square setup for the win, cheaper tyres and you can swap front to rear when you have killed the rears from too many burnouts, lol

and lets face it, with Ricky's current wheels that'll still mean he's running 9's at the rear. Most staggered sets only go up to 9 inch rears anyway. The only reason he'll be running a square set up is because the fronts are too wide not the rears too narrow, and when someone here runs 4 rears from a staggered set up we all coo over it, yet running 4 fronts is considered lame. but if the fronts in question are wider than most rears, not wanting them because they're 'fronts' by name is about as retarded as wanting to conform to a scene stigma gets. Honestly that sort of thought process should come with a bib. (That's not aimed at you personally Ricky, just a rant at stupidity (or being cool as its commonly known)). :)

Edited by Dr T

But I need to know what wheels to aim for lol

No, you need to finish your car, get the rest of it looking how you want and then choose a style to match. Otherwise you'll buy more wheels, then buy more bits and it will remain a hodgepodge of random bits that have no harmony.

are those figures Jay's mentioned really correct Ricky, 9k for the car and around 4k in mods. how long ago did you buy it and what sort of mileage has it done now? not that it really matters as you're not selling but depreciation makes me cry :cry:

I spent £10k on my E46 and £4k just on a sound system, and probably £2k on other various mods. Now it's worth so little I gave it away. For that money I should have just bought an E92 straight away.

Why was the set up staggered from the factory, this is my main reason for wanting a staggered set up

Marketing. But your reasoning here is illogical anyway since the car didn't leave with the size of wheels you want to fit anyway, so you've already broken away from any engineering specification that mandated staggered wheels anyway.

Rear wheel drive cars tend to have wider wheels so they are less likely to break traction on the driven wheels. Logically front wheel drive cars should have wider wheels at the front but then you mess up the steering, especially in the wet.

Edited by mit

Why was the set up staggered from the factory, this is my main reason for wanting a staggered set up

but the factory staggered set up is mostly likely an effort to reduce the oversteery nature of rear wheel drive cars and create a bit of comparatively safe (from a corporation 'oh dear everyone is crashing our cars and killing themselves, which is neither much good for attracting new customer nor helping generate repeat business) understeer. And yet again i bring you back to the fact, you're hardly running a staggered tyre set up and its not been a problem so far.

Edited by Dr T

I wouldnt run 4 fronts on my current style as the concave effect would be lost on the rear (one of the things I want)

But I need to know what wheels to aim for lol

No, you need to finish your car, get the rest of it looking how you want and then choose a style to match. Otherwise you'll buy more wheels, then buy more bits and it will remain a hodgepodge of random bits that have no harmony.

>are those figures Jay's mentioned really correct Ricky, 9k for the car and around 4k in mods. how long ago did you buy it and what sort of mileage has it done now? not that it really matters as you're not selling but depreciation makes me cry :cry:

I spent £10k on my E46 and £4k just on a sound system, and probably £2k on other various mods. Now it's worth so little I gave it away. For that money I should have just bought an E92 straight away.

Marketing. But your reasoning here is illogical anyway since the car didn't leave with the size of wheels you want to fit anyway, so you've already broken away from any engineering specification that mandated staggered wheels anyway.
Rear wheel drive cars tend to have wider wheels so they are less likely to break traction on the driven wheels. Logically front wheel drive cars should have wider wheels at the front but then you mess up the steering, especially in the wet.

The only things left to do on the outside are C/C rear diffuser, get and fit CSL bootlid and then paint the panels that need it (bonnet, bumper, rear quarter) so I can see how it will look just not what wheels to get, the inside is a different story LOL

This is true, but based on your above evidence wider rear wheels would help with traction etc and thinner front wheels will help with steering etc

but the factory staggered set up is mostly likely an effort to reduce the oversteery nature of rear wheel drive cars and create a bit of comparatively safe (from a corporation 'oh dear everyone is crashing our cars and killing themselves, which is neither much good for attracting new customer nor helping generate repeat business) understeer. And yet again i bring you back to the fact, you're hardly running a staggered tyre set up and its not been a problem so far.

A good point, but that is more due to the need to do it to make the tyres fit, given the choice I would run a true staggered set up

You misunderstood my post. Go read up about handling dynamics and grip please, then come back and re-assess your response :)

You also have some pilot lights for the door handles to fit.

Edited by mit

You misunderstood my post. Go read up about handling dynamics and grip please, then come back and re-assess your response :)

You also have some pilot lights for the door handles to fit.

I do not believe I did:

You said I have non factory sized wheels (19s) so have messed about with the engineering etc already - correct

You said that wider rear wheels help keep traction on rear wheel drive cars - good reason for staggered wheels

You said that wider front wheels would help keep traction on front wheel drive cars but that it would ruin the steering - so by virtue thinner front wheels will improve steering (to an extent) but will lose traction if on a front wheel drive car

However you did also say my over sized wheels have removed any need to run staggered due to the engineering being already ruined by the wheel size, no ?

Ah yes I forgot about those lol

The wording of your response is completely incorrect though, which shows you either didn't understand it or couldn't be bothered to write it properly.

If you couldn't be bothered to write it properly, why write anything at all?

They didn't all come with staggered setups from factory. 330's don't need a staggered setup.

I ran a square setup with my AC's and they were perfect and took the corners well even with budget coilovers. Speaking of AC's type 3's will fit on without issues. I don't know why your so hung up on staggered tyres. Not as if someone is going to give you a medal for it when its not a requirement for these cars.

You said that wider rear wheels help keep traction on rear wheel drive cars - good reason for staggered wheels

But the key here is 'wider than what'? To an extent running wider rears helps with traction yes, but the only reason to run staggered is because running wide fronts makes the car tramline and makes the steering heavy, but a square 225 set up might be a bit oversteery, so run wider rears. But its not a case of running wider rears than front no matter what fronts you have, that's absurd.

You're already running heavy wheels and 235 tyres up front. So you don't need to run wider rears at all. If you ran 10J up front with 255 tyres you wouldn't think 'oh i need some 12J bad boys and lambo spec tyres on the rear'... would you? If you want to run staggered so badly, get some sensible fronts like 8J with 225's on, then you can run 9J rears with 245's and tick that all important 'must run staggered' tick box but for once you'll be doing it for the right reason. (because 225 that suit the front so well aren't man enough for the rears NOT because staggered means no matter what the fronts are, the rears must be bigger because that's staggered and staggered is better)

Your rationale for doing things is so back to front and completely at odds with itself at times. No wonder you don't know if you're coming or going with your plans

The wording of your response is completely incorrect though, which shows you either didn't understand it or couldn't be bothered to write it properly.

If you couldn't be bothered to write it properly, why write anything at all?

Which bit is wrong ?

They didn't all come with staggered setups from factory. 330's don't need a staggered setup.

I ran a square setup with my AC's and they were perfect and took the corners well even with budget coilovers. Speaking of AC's type 3's will fit on without issues. I don't know why your so hung up on staggered tyres. Not as if someone is going to give you a medal for it when its not a requirement for these cars.

I take it you mean the SEs ? I thought all Sports did

I am not against a square set up but am caught up on the staggered thing as this is how it was at the factory, at this rate I ll just put some damn MV1s on

ACS Type III I've ruled out as I dont really have a feeling on them lol

But the key here is 'wider than what'? To an extent running wider rears helps with traction yes, but the only reason to run staggered is because running wide fronts makes the car tramline and makes the steering heavy, but a square 225 set up might be a bit oversteery, so run wider rears. But its not a case of running wider rears than front no matter what fronts you have, that's absurd.

You're already running heavy wheels and 235 tyres up front. So you don't need to run wider rears at all. If you ran 10J up front with 255 tyres you wouldn't think 'oh i need some 12J bad boys and lambo spec tyres on the rear'... would you? If you want to run staggered so badly, get some sensible fronts like 8J with 225's on, then you can run 9J rears with 245's and tick that all important 'must run staggered' tick box but for once you'll be doing it for the right reason. (because 225 that suit the front so well aren't man enough for the rears NOT because staggered means no matter what the fronts are, the rears must be bigger because that's staggered and staggered is better)

Your rationale for doing things is so back to front and completely at odds with itself at times. No wonder you don't know if you're coming or going with your plans

What you have given above is E9X spec wheels and I would love some but they are almost all cracked by now :(

Ricky im skimming but why 19's. 95 reps in 18 guise look real good. Would suit your motor also

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I dont want reps dude otherwise I would consider them

Ricky im skimming but why 19's. 95 reps in 18 guise look real good. Would suit your motor also

i believe its so he can keep his current tyres

That would be nice and also because I think they look better

Ok. How about MV4 as long as you stay away from the potholes

Pics ?