Ashley1995 Posted November 19, 2015 Author Report Share Posted November 19, 2015 Removed both the lower control arms ready to be replaced, Also noticed this... Normal or? I'm not sure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted November 19, 2015 Report Share Posted November 19, 2015 I had oil there too. Not sure how when the oil breather is behind that... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StuBeeDoo Posted November 20, 2015 Report Share Posted November 20, 2015 I had the same with all 3 of my M20s. IIRC the bore of the TB tapers slightly and that's why the oil gravitates toward the boot (and eventually contributes to it degrading). TriggerFish 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted December 3, 2015 Author Report Share Posted December 3, 2015 (edited) Subframe came off. I started cleaning it up but then got bored very quickly and decided it was easier to drop at the sandblasters. 24 hours and some primer later.... its back. The 'After' picture I took turned out terrible so i'll get another! Edited December 3, 2015 by Ashley1995 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 5, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 5, 2016 Christmas meant slow progress on the car throughout December, but I have now got some parts and tools together to carry on. Bought a pair of new lower arms, clutch slave cylinder ( that's going to be fun to fit...), steering pump and new rear lollipops. Also got some Bilt Hamber rust treatment gel and under-seal, torque wrench, nut splitters and a rotary sander.(I'm hoping I can polishing pads for this?) I need to get some sheet metal from somewhere to start with the welding as this is whats holding me back at the moment. Luckily a friend has said he would help out with this as I'm a novice! Updates soon! (I hope ) Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 12, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 12, 2016 The friend doing the welding came over yesterday to take a look and give me some pointers. He said i need to do a bit more cutting and prep work. Also where there has been a repair before, on the drivers footwell corner, to cut the repair out and start again. be cleaner and a better job this way. Unfortunately I may be removing the wiring loom sometime soon too... I was hoping I wouldn't need to but i'll need some more room around the fuse box to repair a patch here. Other than that iv'e got another (that's 4 now) Steering pump which is correct this time, so iv'e cleaned it all up and that's ready to go eventually. The front struts are off and iv'e started stripping them down ready to be cleaned/painted etc All good fun TriggerFish 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennno2005 Posted January 12, 2016 Report Share Posted January 12, 2016 Looking good mate welding is definitely a good skill to have. Very jealous of the garage. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 17, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 17, 2016 Spent all day yesterday on the car. Cut out more of the rust, stripped more down and pasted loads of BiltHamber gel over some areas. Took out the interior to cut the rust out, and wrapped the seats in shrink wrap to keep them clean and that. I've got the carpet out and the passenger side is wet, and the underside is stained blue..... This shows where the coolant leaks from then Now on the hunt for some good front wings. Both wings are mostly okay but along the sill is rusted out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 17, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 17, 2016 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennno2005 Posted January 18, 2016 Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-E30-1983-1991-FRONT-WING-PASSENGER-SIDE-SALOON-ESTATE-INSURANCE-APPROVED-/262055980818 Brand new insurance approved wings at £45 a side. You won't find rust free second hand ones. People complain about the fitting of non genuine wings sometime but I'd rather f**k around trying to fit them properly than have to deal with rust again further down the line. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 18, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-E30-1983-1991-FRONT-WING-PASSENGER-SIDE-SALOON-ESTATE-INSURANCE-APPROVED-/262055980818 Brand new insurance approved wings at £45 a side. You won't find rust free second hand ones. People complain about the fitting of non genuine wings sometime but I'd rather f**k around trying to fit them properly than have to deal with rust again further down the line. Cheers for that mate, I think that might be the way to go. Although I think Triggerfish used a pair of patent wings on his and had figment issues so will drop him a PM soon I think Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bennno2005 Posted January 18, 2016 Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 Just now, Ashley1995 said: Cheers for that mate, I think that might be the way to go. Although I think Triggerfish used a pair of patent wings on his and had figment issues so will drop him a PM soon I think Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk No worries. I replaced the wings on my E46 with insurance approved ones from a local bodyshop and they fit fine. If you're getting somewhere half decent to paint them I'm sure they'll be able to make them fit properly. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 18, 2016 Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 (edited) I did, but on further inspection, I'm 95% sure that my car has had a crash on the corner where it wasn't fitting, as the arch liner, radiator cowl and wing were all labelled as genuine BMW replacement parts. On the other side, the pattern wing fitted OK (apart from where the body shop didn't adjust it properly to clear the door, taking some of the paint off ). It wouldn't put me off buying new ones anyway. The panel gaps might not be 100% factory, but it's rust free, and that's more useful to me than .5mm closer fitment I can grab some photos of how they sit if you want? Edited January 18, 2016 by TriggerFish Ashley1995 and bennno2005 2 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 18, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 I did, but on further inspection, I'm 95% sure that my car has had a crash on the corner where it wasn't fitting, as the arch liner, radiator cowl and wing were all labelled as genuine BMW replacement parts. On the other side, the pattern wing fitted OK (apart from where the body shop didn't adjust it properly to clear the door, taking some of the paint off [emoji42] ). It wouldn't put me off buying new ones anyway. The panel gaps might not be 100% factory, but it's rust free, and that's more useful to me than .5mm closer fitment [emoji4] I can grab some photos of how they sit if you want? Seems the way to go then, that would be perfect thanks Joe! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 18, 2016 Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 WIll do. I should be visiting it some time this week (lots to do!) so I'll take my SLR and grab some Ashley1995 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 18, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 18, 2016 Spent another hour or two on it tonight, applied a load of gel and spent some time with my new wire brush drill bits to prep some areas for welding Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 23, 2016 Report Share Posted January 23, 2016 As promised! The driver's side has been in a crash, as said. And that particular wing is the top part of a BMW wing, but the bottom bit (the weld/join is in the gulley where the trim sits) is aftermarket. While it's not fitted, it does line up well with the bonnet. Also, I won this lot on eBay for £10.50 - anything that you want (which I haven't already earmarked) is yours, if you want it. The gearbox is off an M40, as is the AFM/air box and radiator, and I've my eyes on the Pipercross, the heater matrix, and the window motors, wing mirrors, ABS ECU, headlight, the black rear door card and the lock/key set. More photos in my thread soon. Ashley1995 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 23, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 23, 2016 That's perfect Thanks Joe! They don't look to bad a fit then. That's very generous of you! Any advantage of using an M40 box and or rad? I spy the black parcel shelf.. Mines grey. Today I've spent the day just stripping some more bits and prepping more areas for paint or welding. It's slow going, but progress is progress. Sprayed up the oil cooler too. Any idea if the pipe should be bent like that or...? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 24, 2016 Report Share Posted January 24, 2016 Good progress there. It looks mostly solid too, which is a bonus! Those oil cooler pipes look about the same as the pipes on both of mine, from memory. I don't think the M40 gearbox/rad are compatible, I was just pointing that out to avoid getting your hopes up The parcel shelf was once grey, you can see as much in this photo, but it's still very soft to the touch. Much nicer finish than my one I sprayed. If I hadn't gone to the effort of fitting speakers/crossovers etc. to mine then I'd likely swap them over. If you want it, it's yours. There's a good condition leather gear gaitor too - no tears/nicks or anything. (I would keep it, but mine's a once-piece 'sport' knob/gaitor). Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 24, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 24, 2016 Good progress there. It looks mostly solid too, which is a bonus! Those oil cooler pipes look about the same as the pipes on both of mine, from memory. I don't think the M40 gearbox/rad are compatible, I was just pointing that out to avoid getting your hopes up [emoji4] The parcel shelf was once grey, you can see as much in this photo, but it's still very soft to the touch. Much nicer finish than my one I sprayed. If I hadn't gone to the effort of fitting speakers/crossovers etc. to mine then I'd likely swap them over. If you want it, it's yours. There's a good condition leather gear gaitor too - no tears/nicks or anything. (I would keep it, but mine's a once-piece 'sport' knob/gaitor). Cheers Joe, It's mostly good apart from the two inner wings, two front corners of the passenger compartment and under the fuse box. Theres a whole load of surface rust but that's to be expected. And that's easy to sort mostly. Thanks, I was thinking of colouring mine black but mine doesn't have speaker cutouts so that would be a bonus. How much do you think postage would be? Or i could take a drive up one weekend? I recently bought a matching pair of gear and handbrake gaitors. With M stitching (yes I know mines not an m!) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 27, 2016 Report Share Posted January 27, 2016 Surface rust isn't too bad, as you say. Grind it back and job done Postage quotes are coming out at about £12 (based on it being 1.5m, which I guessed at). Equally happy for you to drive over one weekend too, although it's not much to look at at the moment, so I'd suggest waiting a bit if so. Or I can take it to a show or something. Totally up to you Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 27, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 27, 2016 Surface rust isn't too bad, as you say. Grind it back and job done [emoji4] Postage quotes are coming out at about £12 (based on it being 1.5m, which I guessed at). Equally happy for you to drive over one weekend too, although it's not much to look at at the moment, so I'd suggest waiting a bit if so. Or I can take it to a show or something. Totally up to you [emoji4] Okay cool, I shall have a think. I don't need it urgently but it gets it out of your way. Is that also a power radio aerial I spy? Something you want? If it's working i need another. Mines broke Thanks again, appreciate it! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TriggerFish Posted January 28, 2016 Report Share Posted January 28, 2016 At the moment it's acting as a shelf to store lots of little bits of trim - so it's proving quite useful! I don't remember seeing a power aerial anywhere - where in the photo are you seeing it? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 28, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 28, 2016 At the moment it's acting as a shelf to store lots of little bits of trim - so it's proving quite useful! [emoji4] I don't remember seeing a power aerial anywhere - where in the photo are you seeing it? Hm, it's a little blurry when I zoom in so could be wrong... To the right of the speedo cluster below the parcel shelf Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ashley1995 Posted January 28, 2016 Author Report Share Posted January 28, 2016 At the moment it's acting as a shelf to store lots of little bits of trim - so it's proving quite useful! [emoji4] I don't remember seeing a power aerial anywhere - where in the photo are you seeing it? Just here... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...