Ashley1995

Bodywork, Spraying, Rust Removal

I'm handy with a spanner and socket set but bodywork is new to me. This thread can be for all tips and tricks for everyone to use, but my question is,

After the rust is cut out, and the plate welded in what is the best procedure from here and what products do I use. I guess it needs filler and sanding to get it looking nice with the rest of the bodywork. then protection?  do I primer straight on top then spray?  

Iv'e seen so many different ways of doing it so I'm not sure what the best way id for me. some parts will be visible, in the engine bay, the other side will be behind the wheel arch so won't be but will still need protecting. 

TIA

I've been going with:

remove rust/clean up. Bilt Hamber Deox-C and/or BH Hydrate 80 to convert rust to something not-rusty, and then spray with etch primer. Then weld/clean, spray again with primer, then paint.

I've not done anything external, but for protection, I've sprayed BH UB wax on the underbody, and BH S50 cavity wax in the sills etc. http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments

Not sure if it's the right approach or not though, but from I read, it should be OK. Given the passenger arch is bubbling up already, it's probs. better than what the body shop did!

Still amazes my how bodyshops still don't use decent rust remedy chemicals. The stuff out there these days works really well!

If you ask a bodyshop about it - nooooooo.. It doesn't work! Really? Well why is it if I use it as the instructions say - it works exactly how I expect? Seems to me they just CBA to learn about it or use it properly or those who do - dilute it or use it incorrectly. There seems to be very few who use the chemicals correctly. And as I said - if done right it'll be sorted for good!

It's good stuff. I bought way too much, but I think most of it was the powder :(

I'll check later, but if I've got a spare, unopened bottle of the gel, do you want it? I'm not going it use it anytime soon as I've still got ~75% of a tub left...

Just now, TriggerFish said:

It's good stuff. I bought way too much, but I think most of it was the powder :(

I'll check later, but if I've got a spare, unopened bottle of the gel, do you want it? I'm not going it use it anytime soon as I've still got ~75% of a tub left...

Ohh, that would be great!  Cheers :)