Jump to content
Blair

The Tyre Topic

Recommended Posts

Pirelli PZero Rosso

Size: 225 40 18 (fronts)

Cost: £220 fitted (pair)

Miles: 15000

Tread left: About 3-4mm

Excellent tyre and have worn really well considering I get through the same tyre in under 10k on the X3

Wet grip is very good and standing water is not a problem. Only issue with them is that they are VERY LOUD. Suspect this has something to do with the higher pressures they run at (2.5Bar) but still quite noisy. Turn in is sharp and very difficult to get them to break but it's progressive when they do. My tyre of choice come renewal time!

Continental Sport Contact 3

Size: 255 35 18 (rear)

Cost: About £300 (pair)

Miles: 15000

Tread left: None!

Another excellent tyre and thankfully not quite as loud as the Pirellis. Grip is very good in both the dry and the wet although once down to 3mm I noticed the traction light on for the first time. Very hard to break grip when new

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any thoughts about Falken ZE 912 ?

Found 2 brand new 215/35/18 on ebay £99 inc delivery, even cheaper than Nankang (£105).

Never had Falken before but read many good about 452. £99 for 2 sounds good and on tyrereviews 80% which is not bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/215-35-ZR-18-84W-Falken-Ziex-ZE912-2153518-x2-NEW-TYRES-/191367223346?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A215%7CAspect+Ratio%3A35%7CDiameter%3A18&hash=item2c8e601832#shpCntId

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:- My local tyre place couldn't get the Vredesteins :( so I got the CSC5s.

Here's my running report on the CSC5s. They've done 14k miles, which for roughly the first 5k they were on the rear. They're now down to 4mm, so I would guess they have another 5k left in them. I'd say the life of them has been good, considering I don't drive like a pussy, however I'm unlikely to replace them like-for-like.

Although they don't tramline as badly as the CSC3s they replaced, they still do it in spite of the tracking being double-checked and spot-on. It's noticable since I've put my winters on that the tramlining has completely gone, so it's definitely tyre-related. In the last few weeks, the Contis have become noticeably noisier.

I think, when the time comes to put the summer wheels back on, I'll get a pair of Goodyear F1 Assy 2s on the front and keep the displaced Contis to go on the rear when the current rears are done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ran Falken ZE912's and then the 914's in my Celica and then my DC5 and they held up great.

I've just bought 2 x 255/35/18 for the rear and planning on buying 2 x 225/35/18 for the fronts.. in ZE914's.

If anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't please speak now or forever hold your peace :P haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ran the Falken 452's a few times on one of my old car. They only ever lasted me around 10-12k per pair (on the front, rears lasted around 15k, on a 2.0 TDI A3). But it was the inside wearing despite having the suspension geometry checked multiple times.

I then put on a pair of Vred Sessantas on the front just before selling the car (did around 2k on them). I liked them, but didn't spend enough time with them.

Then, when I bought my 335d, I tried them again. This time I put around 16k on them, and when I sold the wheels / tyres they still had 5mm on the front and 5.5mm on the back (225/40/18 & 255/35/18 on 8.5J & 9.5J respectively).

To say I am happy with them is an understatement.

My current F11 530d has the standard spec GoodYear RFT's on. 17k into ownership and it looks like there is plenty tread left (although I will have to check that tomorrow to be sure). I also like them, although they have let go off slippy roundabouts a couple times at slow speeds. Something that never happened with the Vreds, despite the massively more torque in the 335d, and general more hooligan-ish driving.

I have JUST bought a set of 3SDM 0.06's for the E46, and the rears need replacing instantly. Vred Sessantas WILL be going on. Nothing but respect for these tyres.

As for winter tyres. I put Conti's on the 335d a couple years ago, and they were epic. Only car to get out of our street.

I have Dunlop wintersport 3D's for the F11, and they did a fine job last winter, but it wasn't very cold last winter, so the proof will be in the pudding when we get a more suitable winter.

Ran Dunlop 4D's on the Passat last winter too, but same as above.

Had Michelin winters on a Range Rover, and that thing was unstoppable. But then to be expected really.

I am now debating whether to put winters on the standard 17's. A costly exercise considering I am only planning on having the car a year, and I will already have another motor on winters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate, as Daz said there's hundreds of topics on this, it's all down to budget & things - personally I like falkens if buying new. Great mid range tyre. Plus. I don't hoon around bends at silly speeds due to being so low anyway - others may suggest

Michelin pilot sport 3s, although no Doubt they're a flipping awesome tyre, Id not really see any benefits, just a large hole in my bank balance which I could use to buy more coilovers :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate, as Daz said there's hundreds of topics on this, it's all down to budget & things - personally I like falkens if buying new. Great mid range tyre. Plus. I don't hoon around bends at silly speeds due to being so low anyway - others may suggest

Michelin pilot sport 3s, although no Doubt they're a flipping awesome tyre, Id not really see any benefits, just a large hole in my bank balance which I could use to buy more coilovers :-)

Mate thanks for that! I did try a search as can be seen on the images above but as it s**te it brings up a whole heap of stuff that isn't actually any relevance to what I want!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest mate, I find the same with the search function - particularly with Tapatalk.

I find the best work around is to use a Google search and populate the search string as:

'your query[space]e46zone' so in this instance 'what tyres are best E46zone'. - Should get a decent result then [emoji106]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use nankangs, love hate relationship for alot of people. I've never had any probs with them. I use them because they offer plenty enough grip for every day drive, which is good enough for me. The only gripe I have with them is the noise they produce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate, as Daz said there's hundreds of topics on this, it's all down to budget & things - personally I like falkens if buying new. Great mid range tyre. Plus. I don't hoon around bends at silly speeds due to being so low anyway - others may suggest

Michelin pilot sport 3s, although no Doubt they're a flipping awesome tyre, Id not really see any benefits, just a large hole in my bank balance which I could use to buy more coilovers :-)

Mate thanks for that! I did try a search as can be seen on the images above but as it s**te it brings up a whole heap of stuff that isn't actually any relevance to what I want!

No worries mate. Ive actually got a Michelin pilot sport 255/35/19 just sat there but it's only one sadly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conti CSC5 for now. They're about half worn and starting to get noisy. :( They're getting replaced with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2s - they've had good write-ups and are supposed to cure the tramlining I can't get rid of which I'm told is a trait of the Conti's.

Edited by StuBeeDoo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest mate, I find the same with the search function - particularly with Tapatalk.

I find the best work around is to use a Google search and populate the search string as:

'your query[space]e46zone' so in this instance 'what tyres are best E46zone'. - Should get a decent result then [emoji106]

I wouldn't know about any of this (the nearest I get to mobile communications is my laptop) but if it's good advice perhaps it should be made sticky. There are loads of people here posting "I've tried searching and can't find an answer" to really common queries there definitely are answers to.

Sorry for going OT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest mate, I find the same with the search function - particularly with Tapatalk.

I find the best work around is to use a Google search and populate the search string as:

'your query[space]e46zone' so in this instance 'what tyres are best E46zone'. - Should get a decent result then [emoji106]

I wouldn't know about any of this (the nearest I get to mobile communications is my laptop) but if it's good advice perhaps it should be made sticky. There are loads of people here posting "I've tried searching and can't find an answer" to really common queries there definitely are answers to.

Yeah it's murder mate, I generally always use my phone and the search function just isn't very helpful! I always attempt the search first and via the forum it brings up nothing! Google search is loads better!

Sorry for going OT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need to decide what tires for both sets of 18s and 19s. Previous owner has fitted accelerta ( what ever they are called.) All around. The rears are going. Can tell that the grip is shocking.

Might get vredsisten or contis. As I had good experience with both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting all 4 tyres replaced soon (Falkens) as well as 2 front bearings.

When I get my tracking done I can go to 2 places, one will only put it back to OEM and the other will do custom.. On my DC5 I had custom fast road but on an E46 is it worth it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...