Ashley1995

Home AV/Entertainment Networks and Setups

I am currently re-doing my home AV network and thought it could be interesting to see what everybody else has.

I know a few of us on here are tech fans so I'm hoping for some good discussions

I have just ripped everything out and have begun channelling out the walls to run cables in before I decorate and am moving all my kit into a cupboard :thumbsup:

0c89aba7da7826c0f295bb0face5bae3.jpg

Edited by Ashley1995

Quick tip, leave 1 metre more cable on the end than you think you need! And leave at least 3 pull cords in that channel!

Currently having an extension built which will include a full AV setup.

Ceiling mounted Optoma HD50 Projector

108" electric screen

Focal Dome 5.1 system (front and rear) with an extra 2 KEF Ci100QR in-ceiling speaker to make it 7.1 (has the best WAF*)

All this driven from a central AV cabinet which will include the AV amp, streaming PC for music and videos etc.

Cat6 run to each room for video and audio streaming

Same KEF in-ceiling speakers in the dining room and kitchen

iPod docks on the kitchen Island and in dining room

That's it so far!

Not expected to be finished until May but I'll get some pics up soon

*Wife Acceptance Factor

I have a TV with channelled in wires connected to a smart surround sound.

I've got an HP microserver to stream media from, but until I move it into the loft, the HDD noise is too annoying, so I copy my media to a USB stick to stream from there instead.

I used to have a projector in my bedroom, but the noise/heat was too much :(

I, too, work in IT.

Once I move out, this will hopefully improve to a much better setup though!

I've got the TV going on the wall, with PS3 & 4, Sky HD in the cupboard.

I have a QNAP that i also use as a media server and my PC, switch and Draytek AP going in the same cupboard

Downstairs we've got a 7.1 surround sound with multiple room streaming etc

I live at home still but like Joe, hope to improve the setup once I move out

Edited by Ashley1995

IT Geeks ^_^

Built a false chimney breast in my living room housing a 46" Sony LED, linked to Sony 7.1 3D Blu Ray receiver and Q-Acoustics 2000 series speakers, including 2 floor standers at the front and 4 rear bookshelfs, with a sub. Its not audiophile stuff, but its plenty good for my untrained ear and rattles the double glazing.

I would love a projector and screen, plus need a better receiver, but what i have at the moment is plenty good for me.

Don't you sell IT stuff? or am I thinking of someone else?

Waste of money in my eyes. My 32" and bose dock (tv goes through) is fine, why would I need anything more? Of course, why do I need a M instead of a 318 etc.

I understand, but it does the job, so I'm happy. We don't tend to watch a lot of TV apart from US comedys, really don't need anything fancie for that.

I use a HTPC for films, music and photos. Have a server with 15TB of storage for blu-ray rips, music in FLAC, etc, and push that through an Onkyo and Rotel amp with B&W speakers, and Sony 40" LCD.

All films sorted using the MyMovies app and Windows Media Centre. All controlled by Pronto remote.

Interesting. I still live with my parents and spend the majority of my time in my room when I'm at home so have no need/use for a fancy tech setup.

I have a simple setup consisting of; dual 24" monitors, custom PC and a pair of KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors. This is connected to a Netgear WNDR3700 router via a 50 foot ethernet cable running out my window, down the side of the house and into another window, across the room and into the router!

I also work in IT :)

I ran an external Cat6 through the wall out and around the house down and back into where our router is.

It goes into a 16 port switch which then provides everything else: TV, server, PC, Apple TV, PS4 etc

Living at home spending most of time in my room I find it's even more important to have a good setup! Aha

I got a 50" Samsung LED 3D TV a month or two ago, I got £200 off because the box had been opened! And that's with a 5year guarantee!

50 foot ethernet cable running out my window, down the side of the house and into another window, across the room and into the router!

That's awesomely pikey! I ran mine up the side of the stairs, into the roof space, across the roof and back down into my bedroom (where a spur then goes off downstairs again to the other side of the house).

I agree - spending a fair chunk of time in my room means it's quite important that the AV is nice. If nothing else, the wall mounted TV frees up a load of floor space for dumping clothes carefully storing my belongings.

50 foot ethernet cable running out my window, down the side of the house and into another window, across the room and into the router!

That's awesomely pikey! I ran mine up the side of the stairs, into the roof space, across the roof and back down into my bedroom (where a spur then goes off downstairs again to the other side of the house).

I agree - spending a fair chunk of time in my room means it's quite important that the AV is nice. If nothing else, the wall mounted TV frees up a load of floor space for dumping clothes carefully storing my belongings.

Would a simpler/neater solution not be to use them adapters that turn your electricity circuit into internet?

Would a simpler/neater solution not be to use them adapters that turn your electricity circuit into internet?

I dislike those, I find they get interference and stop working 50% of the time

Some of your setups is making me awfully jealous.

I just have a Panasonic 32" LED A400 Non Smart TV on my Desk, with shelves for my PS4 (Which gathers a lot of dust), and then use a 10m HDMI Cable channeled around the room to a desk near my bed where I have my laptop and use that! lol! I also use Powerline adapters to connect to a Wi-Fi Extender in my room to get a reliable strong connection to the main router which is downstairs :)

I would love a decent sound set up, but I also live at home, and my mother complains are the slightest amount of noise. I had a Panasonic HTB Series Soundbar for a little while, but found because I could rarely use it I might as well sell it.

Edit: I just realised you guys are talking about the powerline adapters! How do I know how efficient they are... I believe I get a consistently good connection but have nothing to compare to other than the fact that the wireless range doesn't reach my room

Edited by Naj

Joe - To make things even pikier (add to dictionary) someone recently butchered the cable and I had to bodge it back together (twist and tape :D). I'd replace it but it seems to be working fine and I'm to lazy/cheap to bother getting a new one. Also glad to know I'm not the only one who "carefully stores their belonging on the floor".

Simon/Ashley - I assume you're talking about Powerline adapters. I've looked into them before but due to my atrocious dial-up broadband speed I fear I might lose some precious kilobits on the way.

4223117288.png

As far as home media goes, I don't watch TV or play games so I have no need for mass external storage. I'd further my audio hardware but then I run the risk of losing the privilege of living here. The only use I can think of for me needing a form of external storage would be for FLAC audio files, but then it's hard enough finding tracks with a bit rate of 320kb/s.

How about stop spending all this money and save for a deposit! ha

Welfare state, init?

4223161480.png

It's a slow day at work today :( 700MB up is the best I've seen.

Edited by TriggerFish

My setup consists of quite simply a Toshiba 32" TV sat on an Ikea TV cabinet with a DVD player, V+HD box and a Nintendo Wii attached to it. Really nothing special at all, but then I don't watch of a lot of TV anyway. Top Gear is pretty much all I watch, and we all know what's happened there :lol: I do have an old PowerPC-based Mac Mini sitting next to it waiting for me to turn it into a media centre type thing, but I've got a few issues that are putting me off bothering.

1) The Mac Mini is PPC-based, so decent software is hard to find

2) The TV doesn't seem to like it if I output any decent resolution from the Mac Mini to the TV using a DVI-HDMI adapter. I did this with a PC years ago and it seemed OK running at 1920x1080 but doens't like the Mac Mini.

3) The DVD drive in the Mac Mini is foobared so wouldn't work as a DVD player. I don't know if I can be bothered replacing the drive inside it as it looks a mission to open up and running an external DVD drive defeats the purpose of it being a Mac Mini.

So I might scrap that one.

Other than that stuff, I have my "mancave" as I like to call it next to my bedroom. That houses a lot of car parts and all my other bits of kit. I've got a relatively decent spec gaming PC hooked up to two 23" 1080p monitors, an iMac G4, eMac G4, iBook G3 and a PowerMac dual-G5 that I use as a server. All those Macs cost me around £20 for the lot :lol: I've also got a MacBook Pro Retina that I pair up with the server. There is also a Sony Micro Hifi system that is hooked up to the PC for my musics. Oh and my guitar amp, bass guitar amp and about 7 guitars scattered around :lol: That's my proper entertainment centre B)

How about stop spending all this money and save for a deposit! ha

Welfare state, init?

4223161480.png

It's a slow day at work today :( 700MB up is the best I've seen.

Holy s**t that's ridiculous. People are usually jelous of my speeds, but that's just silly :lol:

4223167053.png

Edited by Nimraynn

I store all my movies and music on my QNAP and I back my MacBook up to it so I need the space 4tb at the moment but may need more soon.

I used to have about the same speed as you Maxtek, until BT finally install fibre! Still only get about 30mb down though

Joe I want to hurt you! :censored:

Ashley, I have the fastest possible broadband speed available in the area. The annoying thing is fibre is available 7 miles away from where I live... :cry: So much for living in the heart of Essex.

Joe I want to hurt you! :censored:

Not restricted internet either - not like Virgin Media at home with their student 'we've blocked this site on copyright grounds'. -_-

At home I get about 100-130 down and about 10 up :(