JDS1808

Playstation 3 help

Hi all,

Yesterday I bought a PS3 and GTA5 & Gran Turismo 6 from CEX.

All is working fine so no problems there.

When inserting gt6 in yesterday evening it went through a 5 hour update.

I've now just put in GTA5 and it is doing the same.

Now I've not used a PS3 ever, but when I had my ps2 all those years ago we just put the disk in and played.

I've done a bit of research online and it seems people have a choice between digital and physical???

Can someone explain why this is taking so long? What is it updating? Why is it updating it?

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mate, I've worked I'm video game development for about 15 years now and wish I could explain it decently for you. These last two generations (PS3 and 4) are so heavily online connected that all the developers (for Sony and the game devs) can push updates as and when they like, and they do. Just the price you pay for wanting better connectivity and a constant need for better QA'd products (QA is bug testing) to make sure your actual gameplay experience (when you finally get to play!) is as good as it can be.

There's about 5-6Gb of updates each from what I remember so depending on your broadband speed you could be waiting a long time!

Best to leave it overnight.. lol.

By the way - jokes section?!?

Cheers chaps.

It's all up and running now. Just took so long! Game play is great too.

I tried to put it in 'other' but tapatalk said that I wasn't allowed the next best thing was jokes.

So just to make it allowed. .

"Where was the stupid woodworm found. .....in a brick"

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

PS3 was so annoying for taking so long to update games, I've find ps4 much faster for updates. I haven't had to wait for 1 hour plus update since I've got the ps4 unlike the PS3 which had them on a regular basis

True! PS4 is much quicker! Although with 100Mb broadband those 2.5Gb updates take no time anyway.. :)

Only problem is no decent racing game on the PS4.. Polyphony are insisting on proceeding with GT6 for now. GT7 won't be with us on the PS4 until 2017.. Although it WILL support Sony VR apparently! That'll be cool.. lol

Makes me tempted to buy an Xbox One to get Forza. lol.

Got that on PS4 - too limited (in terms of tracks/cars/customisations).

Miss being able to get a mid-90's Golf GTI (for example), putting the R32 drivetrain in it and turbocharging it to 800bhp. Or get a '67 Challenger and put an 800bhp NASCAR engine in it! lol.

I miss Forza.. :(

Reminds of when my mate got a PS3 for xmas from his wife with which ever version of gran tourismo was out when PS3 had only recently come out. Desperate to play it his Mrs said he could have one hour as they had all the family coming round. He eagerly switched it on and started up the game to be told immediately it had to update.......8hrs. ?

Edited by BmEagle

Regarding digital (downloaded games) or physical discs the choice is yours. Discs are more often than not a lot cheaper. For example you can get call of duty ghosts on disc for under £10. Digital version from the PlayStation network is £20.

It annoys me that new games like Fifa 16 on ps4 is £44 or less on disc but the psn digital version is £54.99.

PS3 psn also has a minimum deposit of £5 so If you want an add on that costs less you end up leaving money in your "wallet". Ps4 however has no minimum amount.

I loved the original gran tourismo on ps2 as they had a cheat disc that unlocked everything (except a few of the cars you had to earn like the polyphonic) and gave you more money than you could ever need. Cheating I know but you could max out the mods on any car you fancied.

Gran Turismo are awful for updates. Not only do you have to run the standard PSN updates, but when they've finished and you launch the game it spends hours installing those updates. I fired up the PS3 and GT6 the other day for a blast with the G25 wheel and was waiting for nigh on two hours for updates to finish before I could get going.

Project cars is a great simulator. I use it on a pad even though I have a decent wheel I can "only" use it on the PC, PS3, xbox 360 (basically anything with a USB socket, except the PS4) - I'm still pissed that Logitech decided "instead of supporting our previously best selling wheels on the PS4, lets take a G27, make the H shifter an optional addon, take away the realistic feeling dual motor force feedback, add a belt system, remove the clutch pedal from the base model and stick it in a nice playstation branded case and charge £260 for the wheel, and a further £100 each for the shifter and pedals".

I know they've now seen sense and brought the price down, but out of principle I'm not prepared to go out and purchase a technically inferior wheel which the PS4 supports because Logitech put cash before customers and refused to build a driver.

Holy thread revival!! [emoji33]

Update from me - I got an Xbox one and Forza 6 and Forza Horizon 2!

Momo = happy! B)

You getting latest need for speed Momo? I've completed it very good.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Nope! Never been a fan of the NFS series..

I prefer more simulation type games so stick with Forza. I quite liked Project cars - but not the fact you had to spend AGES trying to figure out how to setup the bloody controller to make it feel right.. You'd have thought they'd put a generic setting on there by default - but NO!! You've got to figure it out yourself.. lol.

Either way i'll stick with Forza.. Now the Porsche expansion is out for Forza 6 - more hours of gameplay! :D

It's just a shame a lot of the new equivalents of some of the cars aren't in the game, such as the BMW X5M. They've got the E70, but not the F15 for some reason.. It's worse with the Porsche expansion.. They've got the 997 GT3RS 4.0ltr, but not the current 991 GT3RS.

Anyway.. It'll do! :P

Our eldest child managed to blag an Xbox one from his Nan for Easter,  (Easter ffs, what happened to a chocolate egg and a roast dinner). Already got a PS4 in the house but as mentioned, it lacks a decent driving game. Might get Forza for when the kids go to bed. 

Our eldest child managed to blag an Xbox one from his Nan for Easter,  (Easter ffs, what happened to a chocolate egg and a roast dinner). Already got a PS4 in the house but as mentioned, it lacks a decent driving game. Might get Forza for when the kids go to bed. 

What! A x1 for Easter think I was born in the wrong era and the wrong house.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk