Sam

New forum software Aug '17

I have upgraded the forum software to the latest version due to some security fixes that were present in the old one. Nothing serious, just potential for us to get taken down.

I've tested the site and everything seems to be working, but I can't possibly test every button, so let me know if there are issues. The site is re-indexing, in other words rebuilding it's info, so search and a few other elements may be off for a bit.

I have noticed a decline over 2017 and I'd like to try and bring the forum back to what it was. Seems there are still some old core members about, as well as some fresh faces. I suppose as the cars get cheaper, less people are perfecting them etc. But, the E46 is still a popular car, and we should support that. So, I will be working on a bit of publishing for the site, in the hope of bringing some new members on board.

Edited by Sam

thought there was summit up when i had to sign in..looks better also.

Hope the new content feed works better in this version.. In the original one I used to click the todays new content button that was on the main forum page to see what the latest was.

In the last version that disappeared and had to be manually configured. I thought the drop in activity coincided with that tbh.

19 hours ago, Sam said:

I have upgraded the forum software to the latest version due to some security fixes that were present in the old one. Nothing serious, just potential for us to get taken down.

I've tested the site and everything seems to be working, but I can't possibly test every button, so let me know if there are issues. The site is re-indexing, in other words rebuilding it's info, so search and a few other elements may be off for a bit.

I have noticed a decline over 2017 and I'd like to try and bring the forum back to what it was. Seems there are still some old core members about, as well as some fresh faces. I suppose as the cars get cheaper, less people are perfecting them etc. But, the E46 is still a popular car, and we should support that. So, I will be working on a bit of publishing for the site, in the hope of bringing some new members on board.

Looks great Sam.

Regarding getting members/activity up. The various Facebook groups are very active, be good to tap into those groups, maybe post e46zone addy?

It's a risky thing to do, obviously you don't want to upset people as it's posting a link to the site, they'll know who you are! Suppose you can ask, a lot won't be competing for business, just like minded.

Now the forum software is done, I can do some different SEO stuff etc. Thinking about a bit of re branding and using it as an excuse to pay for some ads on FB etc. I've been meaning to do it for years!

I see your point Sam. Really font think it will do any harm though. I was part of a very active forum for Nissan 200 sx (my previous car). The forum was really busy and there's got to be a hell of a lot more bm drivers/enthusiasts then 200sx. I'll pm farcebook admin and see. Can't hurt I suppose :)

59 minutes ago, Markus5000 said:

I've contacted Ben from e46 owners club and he's fine with posting a link to here. I think there's about 6.4 thousand members on it so surely some will join :)

Here come the chav squad :D

14 hours ago, Markus5000 said:

I'm on there and I'm about as far from a chav as you can get :P

Iv'e seen the mentioned Facebook group.. I will let action speak louder than words.  Watch this space :rolleyes:

On 04/08/2017 at 13:28, momo said:

Hope the new content feed works better in this version.. In the original one I used to click the todays new content button that was on the main forum page to see what the latest was.

In the last version that disappeared and had to be manually configured. I thought the drop in activity coincided with that tbh.

Agreed, that used to annoy me too. 

Looks cleaner Sam, good work. 

On 04/08/2017 at 13:05, Sam said:

I have upgraded the forum software to the latest version due to some security fixes that were present in the old one.

Yay, https... :P

On a serious note, good stuff - it does look slicker if nothing else (not been on much recently). Photobucket's recent ransomware has seen my use of forums in general decline (along with other reasons), and I wonder if others feel the same way...

11 hours ago, TriggerFish said:

Yay, https... :P

On a serious note, good stuff - it does look slicker if nothing else (not been on much recently). Photobucket's recent ransomware has seen my use of forums in general decline (along with other reasons), and I wonder if others feel the same way...

I do, its very frustrating.

It's as if they decided they were hosting enough across so many sites people would be forced to sign up and get photos back on forums etc. So many guides no longer work!

Backfired though!

Yup, they thought people would pay $400 / year.

I'm in the process of migrating to Flickr before my membership to Photobucket expires in December. No way I'm increasing my payment from $39.99 to $399 a year!

22 hours ago, Sam said:

Backfired though!

It is much faster to use than it used to be though - at least extracting data/photos is quicker! 

I wonder if anyone's automated it yet to systematically pull/upload somewhere else...