330d Ben Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Just a quick few photos of my 330d Race Car competing at a French Hillclimb in 2013. The car is currently running around 220bhp, it is a standard 184 car with a FMIC, Straight through exhaust, remap. I have a hybrid E60 Vacuum operated Turbo here for it and am currently looking for 535d Injectors, I am hoping for north of 300bhp. I will use a Stage 3 clutch and single mass flywheel. Running gear - Gaz Coilovers with full coilover rear units, adjustable top mounts and rear camber arms, standard otherwise. It has an open diff fitted for now which is horrible, I am debating as to use a Quaife item or have an older BMW plated diff machined to fit. chunky899, Rich_D, Beezer and 1 other 4 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sag2 Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Now that looks fun!!! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
momo Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Looks awesome! I had images of the top gear car in my head when you mentioned it in the other thread! lol Awesome car: TOOM 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bungers Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Nice Ben! I believe you need the earlier 535d nozzles (272bhp), just tried looking for the part number but couldn't find it :-( I also think you'll need to change the fuel pump to the later 204bhp model as the fuel pressure on the earlier ones isn't as high. Will the e60 turbo go on the standard manifold or will you be getting a custom one made? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mit Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Legend! Interesting that you chose the derv, keen to read about your modifying progress StuBeeDoo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
330d Ben Posted April 8, 2014 Author Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Thanks all, if only I could find that top gear car and nick a few bits from it! I do intend on putting a Larsen's Biscuits sticker on there somewhere! Yeah from what I have read its the nozzles I need and my own injectors are fine to use with them. A chap on here 'jassi' mentioned in his thread he had a source on the nozzles, that would be ideal. I have no problem fitting the M57N fuel pump as I know the later engine runs higher pressure I'm just not sure if its the pump that is limiting it or the fuel rail regulator. The car is far from ideal for what I'm using it for, but the way I looked at it was either spend a huge amount of money competing with the other top cars or a modest budget on a fun usable car. At least it will be something different as well. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mjn Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Looks fun! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
simonlpearce Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Quality, also be interested to see how the tuning goes with this. Beats chucking on some generic box you bought off joe bloggs tuning and expecting miracles momo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 A mate of mine has a 345bhp / 640Nm E46 330Cd, he ran 12.6secs @ 115mph quarter mile at Santa Pod last weekend, it's rapid!!! That's a later 3.0 engine running 335d injectors, hybrid turbo, FMIC, Quaiffe diff, etc... he's spent a fortune. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Interesting that you chose the derv, keen to read about your modifying progress For hill climbing, it's all about the torque... StuBeeDoo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Todd1983 Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 A mate of mine has a 345bhp / 640Nm E46 330Cd, he ran 12.6secs @ 115mph quarter mile at Santa Pod last weekend, it's rapid!!! That's a later 3.0 engine running 335d injectors, hybrid turbo, FMIC, Quaiffe diff, etc... he's spent a fortune. How is the box holding up? And what clutch is he using? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mit Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Interesting that you chose the derv, keen to read about your modifying progress For hill climbing, it's all about the torque... Yep, completely agree, that's why I think its cool Rich_D 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 A mate of mine has a 345bhp / 640Nm E46 330Cd, he ran 12.6secs @ 115mph quarter mile at Santa Pod last weekend, it's rapid!!! That's a later 3.0 engine running 335d injectors, hybrid turbo, FMIC, Quaiffe diff, etc... he's spent a fortune. How is the box holding up? And what clutch is he using? The 6 speed manual box seems to have no issues at all, he'd been running nearly 300bhp for a couple of years before he tuned it further, for track & drift days, with no issues amazingly! Single mass flywheel and some clutch from the US I think, I can ask him Todd1983 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StuBeeDoo Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 Diesel hillclimb car. Brilliant concept! OP, I take my hat off to you sir! Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Todd1983 Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 A mate of mine has a 345bhp / 640Nm E46 330Cd, he ran 12.6secs @ 115mph quarter mile at Santa Pod last weekend, it's rapid!!! That's a later 3.0 engine running 335d injectors, hybrid turbo, FMIC, Quaiffe diff, etc... he's spent a fortune. How is the box holding up? And what clutch is he using? The 6 speed manual box seems to have no issues at all, he'd been running nearly 300bhp for a couple of years before he tuned it further, for track & drift days, with no issues amazingly! Single mass flywheel and some clutch from the US I think, I can ask himif you wouldnt mind. I have a manual 6 sp and have 285bhp & 450lbft. My clutch is slipping a bit so have a sachs performance waiting to go in at weekend Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
-Ad- Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 I've always said I'd stick to petrol but diesel tuning is getting pretty impressive now! Big power N/A petrol would be awesome but costs the earth! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rich_D Posted April 8, 2014 Report Share Posted April 8, 2014 A mate of mine has a 345bhp / 640Nm E46 330Cd, he ran 12.6secs @ 115mph quarter mile at Santa Pod last weekend, it's rapid!!! That's a later 3.0 engine running 335d injectors, hybrid turbo, FMIC, Quaiffe diff, etc... he's spent a fortune. How is the box holding up? And what clutch is he using? The 6 speed manual box seems to have no issues at all, he'd been running nearly 300bhp for a couple of years before he tuned it further, for track & drift days, with no issues amazingly! Single mass flywheel and some clutch from the US I think, I can ask him if you wouldnt mind. I have a manual 6 sp and have 285bhp & 450lbft. My clutch is slipping a bit so have a sachs performance waiting to go in at weekend The DMF will not last very long either at that level of power & torque Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Martin328 Posted April 11, 2014 Report Share Posted April 11, 2014 Looking good mate! I'm not usually into my diesels, but I'm deffo watching this with interest Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
330d Ben Posted April 15, 2014 Author Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 Thanks for all the feedback guys, I initially planned on building an E46 M3 saloon and picked up this 330d Sport as a donor shell. I have always had an interest in the diesels and decided to stick with the lump and see how far the development could go. Am heading for an International Hill at the end of May in St Goueno, France, details here: www.hillclimbfrance.co.uk Just picked up one of the clutch specialists Stage 3 Kits, should be here next week. Any idea why I'm not allowed paste any links? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
330d Ben Posted April 15, 2014 Author Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 Also, have located an LSD, its an original BMW plated LSD modified to fit the 330d casing and retain the original CWP. Details here: www.bimmertune.com/shop A friend of mine has also ordered one for his E39 530d Sport road car. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
momo Posted April 15, 2014 Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 Also, have located an LSD, its an original BMW plated LSD modified to fit the 330d casing and retain the original CWP. Details here: www.bimmertune.com/shop A friend of mine has also ordered one for his E39 530d Sport road car. Wow - LOADS of spam on that website!! Most of the links seem to point to various "pill" specialists.. lol. You sure you'll get your LSD? Or the other type of LSD? Rich_D 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
330d Ben Posted April 15, 2014 Author Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 opens fine for me, just checked it again, I really do hope I get the LSD I ordered, could be a very awkward conversation with the fed's otherwise! momo 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bungers Posted April 15, 2014 Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 Also, have located an LSD, its an original BMW plated LSD modified to fit the 330d casing and retain the original CWP. Details here: www.bimmertune.com/shop A friend of mine has also ordered one for his E39 530d Sport road car. I'll be getting one of these LSDs too, they also sell on eBay but are priced higher (presumably to cover the fees). Let us know what it's like. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
19ryanh93 Posted April 15, 2014 Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 I've built a couple of hillclimb cars (family are known for building championship winning ones aswell) sadly none are BMWs. Maybe my next project? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
-Ad- Posted April 15, 2014 Report Share Posted April 15, 2014 Is there much in the UK hillclimb wise? And do they have days where you could run say a gokart? I'm currently building a bike engined kart with a paddle clutch and sequential shifter and would like to have a play on some hillclimbs Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...