jassi

E30 Diesel project

Looking good, how did you find the electrics? Have you used the E46 instrument cluster and miles of the original E46 loom or done it another way?

Top work and love your cab[emoji2]

Edited by CharlE46

Looking good, how did you find the electrics? Have you used the E46 instrument cluster and miles of the original E46 loom or done it another way?

Top work and love your cab[emoji2]

the electrics are a pain in the a.. but as long as ive got a tight link with my main man "Enda" from End tunning who sorted all the electrics out for me absolute top guy cant praise the guy enough. I wanted the car to remain OE inside so kept the e30 clocks and tapped into the original e30 loom also the EWS is wired in.

F39A8BA1-F7FA-43C3-BD71-1C6FC80F1836_zps

that cab is lovely! Top work mate :thumbsup:

Thanks.

When i bought the car my mate told me that there was a LSD on the car which there was however as the ratio was totally wrong i took it off and found that when you turned the input flange you could grip the output flange whilst still being able to turn the input flange. So at this point i thought that 1 of 2 things

1: the LSD is blown

2: its actually a open diff

So as the diff was a 168mm small case LSD, i managed to find a e36 318tds compact open diff that had a 2.65 ratio which was virtually perfect, now i just needed to sort out the LSD so i stripped down the LSD only to find that it had second set of clutch and friction plates in order to ram extra clutch and friction plates the LSD top cap has to be lathed back. in my case it had been lathed a touch too much had to get a custom spacer to make up what had been lathed to much and happy days, bolted the diesel crown wheel to the LSD and dropped it off to get the backlash set up. This all made sense in the end as my mate said to get that lsd to lock up he had to rev the tits off that 318is engine and then pop the clutch.

1D581E52-FD97-44F1-99A2-9A81CBDF917C_zps

8DB8A198-450B-44C7-BEB4-8DA53756CB9D_zps

330d LSD 210mm

318TDS LSD 168mm

Forgot to say the car is going back to the original 318IS look so i sold the tech 2 kit

Good call! :) There have been far too many E30s with the MTechnicII kit that were "mint", until the kit came off and left huge holes where there was supposed to be solid metal. :wacko: Triggerfish's was one of the worst.........

In the 10 years I was on E30Zone, Joe, I can't remember very many (if, indeed, any) worse ones. A lad who lives just down the road from me (can't remember his screen name now) paid top-dollar for a well-known "mint" Sport from a well-respected E30Zoner, from down south somewhere, who had looked after the car for years. A few years later, when it was time for a refresh of the paint, the shock came and the welding had to start........ It wasn't as bad as yours, though. I used to see him about in it regularly, but haven't lately. IIRC it was registered the same day as my touring, so it was probably built in late '90.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Love this! Might have misses this, but is it running the m57 gearbox?

Are you updating this in real time, or is it all done now and the thread is lagging behind?

Yeap M57 box, the thread is catching up to real time.

Forgot to say the car is going back to the original 318IS look so i sold the tech 2 kit

Good call! :) There have been far too many E30s with the MTechnicII kit that were "mint", until the kit came off and left huge holes where there was supposed to be solid metal. :wacko: Triggerfish's was one of the worst.........

Glad you approve, plus like the standard look as already have the tech 2 cab (no rot)

Wow great work is love to have a go at something like this, I did a golf mk2 gti to Gtd a few years ago, enjoyed every minute of it, don't envy you doing on your back this time of year, hats off to you keep the updates coming