Sam

BMW UK Sourcing an original E46 Saloon for photoshoot

Sort of! They're being quite difficult about it tbh.. It's all being arranged through an Ad agency..

They want the car for a couple of weeks, to be collected early next week. They're giving me a 325d "luxury"..

So probably one of these:

bmw-3-series-diesel-saloon_5-4door.jpg

Not exactly chuffed about it! :cry:

Going from driving the top/fastest diesel of the E46 range (after M3), with a 6cyl engine to a crappy mid-range 4cyl.. It's not even SPORT spec!! Hmmmm..

Edited by momo

Nah, I don't see it that way.. I see it as a downgrade if anything! It's like someone going from an E46 330d Sport to an E90 320d SE! Might be newer and worth more, but it'll be a worse driving experience!

Plus it's not as if I get to keep the car, it's going back to them once they're done with mine. It'd be nice of them to give me a car I'd actually enjoy surely? lol.

Don't mean to come across as ungrateful (which I am aware is how it sounds a little).

I don't mind! But I'd like to drive something a little nicer for my troubles! No? :P

Or am I completely alone on this and I should shut up and accept what they're giving me? lol

I dunno momo, I had an f30 courtesy car last year, albeit a lowly 320d but was m sport & it was Lovley to drive! Felt very fast - was an auto & I can only imagine the 325d would be a pleasure to have for a few weeks :)

You can borrow my 330d for the two weeks if I can use the 325d then?

I had a 420d for 24 hours, and it felt plenty fast enough through the gears. (Horrid steering feel though)

I think giving a random member of public a brand new 35k car for the use of of their own 3k car is a pretty good deal really!

Ok it's not top spec but I expect it's a lot 'nicer' than an E46 even if we don't agree with the steering, build quality or lack of cylinders. When I get in my wife's E46 after driving my M135i it makes me realise how good the E46 is for its age!

They've confirmed it's the 325d. It's being dropped off this morning. Fair do's! :)

Hey-ho! Lets see what they do to my car.. Just signed my NDA and sent it back so they should give me some info as to what they're using it for. But I won't be able to say anything about it here! Booooo.. :P

No idea! They've not even mentioned it! Guess they're doing long distance shots so don't care..

You can plainly see from the shots I posted the polish on the rub strips - didn't even mention that! I asked if the car's ok and they're happy with that they've seen of it - they said yep! That's fine by me..

They can work magic with photoshop :P

Congrates mate on having your car featuring in some BMW publicity, have they told you what it is?

It's a Top Gear Leaving Special for JC.

He gets to rag the arse off every car he's tested with a final shot of him and Hammmond going off a cliff in an E46, Thelma and Louise stylee! :D

325d for sale thread going up in two weeks! lol

It's a Top Gear Leaving Special for JC.

He gets to rag the arse off every car he's tested with a final shot of him and Hammmond going off a cliff in an E46, Thelma and Louise stylee! :D

I nearly sprayed my laptop with a gob full of coffee as I read that LMFAO :lol::lol:

Did the car swap and got the 325d home late this afternoon. Offered to do it at my local BMW dealership instead of them faffing about delivering cars, waiting days and collecting mine etc..

Not a bad drive! Apart from the salesman telling me there's another guy local with an E21 who got an M4 while BMW took his car! :o

So, got the 325d on Friday.. My work week starts on Saturdays so only driven it home on Friday, then work and back Saturday and back to work today.

DSC_0915_zps8luggagg.jpg

Had 50miles on the clock when I picked it up so still VERY new!

It's actually not as bad as I expected! It's pretty loaded tbh - has the upgraded widescreen nav system, Sports seats (thank god) Xenons etc..

Also has this thing (not sure what it is):

DSC_0916_zpsdbbkezap.jpg

Not sure what that camera/sensor is for..

Main thing is it's got the 8sp Sport Auto gearbox. Had one of them before on a 320i Xdrive which I had for a day. In THAT car I thought the gearbox was bloody awful! In this car? Well, it's a different story! The gearbox suits the bigger/faster engines MUCH better! The initial delay is still there but so long as you stamp on the accelerator it's not as apparent.. lol.

Rides very nice and comfy but that's more likely due to the high sidewalls on the 18" wheels. I've flicked through the various modes too (Eco, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) - deffo a difference! But not much.. All Sport+ does is disable the DSC and TRC.

Overall - Meh! It's alright.. If I had £35k though I'd buy something else.

Yeah when I had the 320d auto the box suited it so well! If I were to get one in future I'd defo go for the auto over the manual. This coming from me, who never buys auto's lol

Thanks mate! Not yet.. Signed the NDA, waiting for the info about the shoot now. All he's said is there's a photoshoot next week and an "AV" shoot the following week.. Not sure what that is?

Audio/video??

Sounds to me like it's for inclusion in advertising material. F30 must be due for LCI around now. G20 (F30 replacement) is due in '18. :)

Edited by StuBeeDoo