JDS1808

What fuel do you use?

I use Esso as its close to my house, and I've found that using the Premium fuel gets me around 20 more miles to a tank - so it's worth it in my opinion. I wasn't aware they use the bio stuff though :/

This is complete false economy!!

A 330i holds 75.46lts of fuel @ £1.21 (the UK average for unleaded) this equals £76.67

75.46lts of fuel @ £1.31 (the UK average for super unleaded) this equals £98.85

So your extra 20miles per tankful is actually costing you £22.18!! which equates to 5.4mpg ........!!!!

Edited by vmlopes

It's 65 litres isn't it?

I know that doesn't affect your calcs but just saying...

And it's 1.23 and 1.32 respectively so £79.95 for UL and £85.80 for Super

So a £5.85 difference

Which is closer to the extra 30 miles the manufacturers claim you'll get

Yeah that maths is a bit off mate! As X Man said, roughly 6 quid extra - that extra cost is diluted by the slightly better mpg, plus its better quality fuel so I'm happy to pay the premium.

aaaah using US gallons not imperial gallons.......doh

It's not your use of US gallons that were wrong, but the multiplication of 75.46 by 1.21 which is actually £91.30. But as you also got the tank size wrong, the difference is actually less.

I have worked it out a few times, for different fuel costs, but that is almost irrelevant as there is the same price difference between them usually also.

Obviously tank size dependant, you are looking for an extra 27 miles, roughly, out a tank, to justify the increased cost of the premium fuel. On average. Assuming you are looking at standard and premium from the same forecourt (Tesco is actually slightly less as there is less of a premium applied to their 99 ron compared to the likes of BP and Shell).

The actual price difference is often more though (certainly with premium diesel), as the likes of Shell and BP are often a couple pence more per litre to start with than their supermarket counterparts. So rather than a 7-9p per litre difference, it could be as much as 11 - 13p difference between the likes of Asda unleaded and BP Ultimate. Which means you need more miles to justify the cost.

I also ran some tests, not scientifically of course, but ran a few (around 3 tanks) on the trot of different diesels (I did this with my 530d). As in 3 tanks of BP ultimate then 3 tanks Shell V-Power etc... So I tried Shell, BP and Esso premium diesels, and also their standard diesels, as well as Asda, Tesco and Morrisons diesels. The ONLY premium to actually give me more MPG's was the Esso premium. But it isn't easy for me to get around here. So I generally just stick with the standard Morrisons.

My 330i though, I have only filled it twice as I have only just got it. Both times with premium fuel. Apple Greens (???) and Shell. I will run a few tanks of Shell V-Power / Tesco 99 (if I am close to the place that sells it) as it's had 5 years on normal unleaded, so the additives might help clean stuff out.

But after that, it'll get the same treatment as the 530d. Normally standard fuel (likely from Morrisons or Shell), with every 4th / 5th tank of premium, for a wee clean.

Edited by xs2man

But after that, it'll get the same treatment as the 530d. Normally standard fuel (likely from Morrisons or Shell), with every 4th / 5th tank of premium, for a wee clean.

Sounds like the best idea to be honest, although I probably wouldn't use Morrisons or the like due to the bio stuff they add.

I feed my hamsters Tesco Finest Lettuce.

In seriousness though, usually whatever is the cheapest petrol station locally. I've tried running a few tanks of V-Power through, but on my 323, I don't notice much difference. From what I hear, it works better on FI cars than it does on NA... so I usually use Morrisons, Tesco or Shell 95 RON unleaded.. Mostly Tesco.

Diesel, from anywhere but Morrisons as they add the highest amount of bio out of all the sellers.

Interestingly, while not an E46, I actually found my last car, 54 plate Astra 1.9 CDTi 150, ran best on Morrisons diesel.

Edited by Nimraynn

I feed my hamsters Tesco Finest Lettuce.

In seriousness though, usually whatever is the cheapest petrol station locally. I've tried running a few tanks of V-Power through, but on my 323, I don't notice much difference. From what I hear, it works better on FI cars than it does on NA... so I usually use Morrisons, Tesco or Shell 95 RON unleaded.. Mostly Tesco.

Diesel, from anywhere but Morrisons as they add the highest amount of bio out of all the sellers.

Interestingly, while not an E46, I actually found my last car, 54 plate Astra 1.9 CDTi 150, ran best on Morrisons diesel.

My 530d runs just fine on Morrisons diesel. Just as well as it does on shell / BP etc... Including the premium stuff. And much better than it does on Asda fuel. I have Shell, Asda, Esso and Morrisons near me, but Asda is obviously the cheapest, Morrisons 1ppl more, and the rest are a good 2-3ppl more again. I'd have to drive 20+ miles each way for Tesco...

Great response in answers chaps.

It sounds like there isn't too much difference then.

I wonder whether in the long run 2 cars from new to old doing the same distance running different fuels you would find that the premium fuel car would need less work internally over the course of say 10 years.

I think for me putting quality fuel is like good car karma.

An interesting fact I heard was Mothballs improves fuel.

Here's a link I found... anyone want to add anything to this?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20060608044243AA7oPRw

Hi everyone,

I've had my 318ci (1.9) since March this year and I usually fill her up with the normal Asda/Tesco 95 octane stuff. I found that from a full tank it would last me roughly 2 weeks with travelling back and to from work... now for the past couple of occasions I have filled my tank up with the Tesco Premium 99 Octane stuff and i've noticed a huge difference and would then last me nearly 3 weeks.

Personally i've found that it benefits me but this is on a 1.9 engine and also could be down to my driving as I don't rag it around all over the place.

Anyway, thought i'd share my experience :thumbsup:

Lew

Shell V Power nitro diesel is my fuel of choice, did use BP ultimate for the last month or so but I don't know doesn't seem as good, 43.4mpg on BP diesel over 331 miles to Devon 47.8mpg on way home similar speeds, traffic conditions, weather, also used air con all way home, cant categorically say its the fuel alone but I do prefer V Power.